580M SLI throttling Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by neosis, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neosis

neosis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    UPDATE: Dell has posted an updated VBIOS for the 580M and 580M SLI, you can get it here.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has there ever been a definitive answer as to why this is happening? I'm pretty much noticing fairly awesome performance in all of my games, but in furmark and 3dmark runs, I'm getting what I would called sub-par performance.

20,000 points in 3dmark 06? I'm pretty sure my 285m's did better than that...

Whilst in furmark with gpuz running, I can see my clocks going from 620/750/1240 to 73.6/162/147. This occurs when the GPU temp exceeds 80.

the clocks stay low until the temp reaches down to 65, then they go back up. They stay up again until the core reaches 80... repeat.

2. Xeneize

Xeneize Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    First of all, if your cards are getting 80c then you got bigger problems than throttling.... Your cards should not go over 76/76 under extreme stress testing.... my cards in games have always been around 73 and with these new drivers 71.....

I'm sure the throttling we are all experiencing is NOT temperature driven but rather power perhaps...

And lastly.. yes it sucks that we get to be throttled in benchmarks, but in games we sure don't.

Seriously, if you are seeing 80c, you should repaste your GPU's.... My cards can run OC at 724/1610 and they are barely hitting 72/72.

3. neosis

neosis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    72/72 in furmark extreme burn test?

4. Xeneize

Xeneize Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No but I don't run that..... just like I don't run WinPrime.....

I get 72's under Vantage for instance and Metro 2033... BUt frankly I don't blame Nvidia for implementing a throttling with Furmark...

5. 0x29A

0x29A Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The throttling is quite surely driver-dependent, and neither BIOS or EC related.

Firstly, there is a bunch of benchmarking and stress applications blacklisted by name in the drivers. This is why the cards keep downclocking while running Furmark or 3DMark Vantage.

Secondly, there is a mechanism in the drivers that when the cards run at full load too long they downclock. The throttle is thus neither temperature nor power related. All of this has already been tested. So basically, if you run the cards at full load for x seconds, they will eventually downclock.

Good reading there:
    DELL M18X A03 BIOS THROTTLE REMOVAL GTX580M SLI

See the beginning of the discussion and the more recent posts. The story hasn't finished yet.

edit: BTW, the 80*C figure is coincidental with the card running at full load. It may very much seem like there is some temperature threshold, but there isn't.

6. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:
    Try the throttling fix I developed for the M15x back in the day. It used an nVidia GPU as well. If you can force the clocks, then it should stop throttling. This is one reason nVidia sucks on a mobile platform.

7. littleone562

littleone562 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I actually have throttling in Left for Dead 2 and BC2 anyone else?

8. Red Line

Red Line Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    at stock, no OC at all? which drivers are you using?

9. littleone562

littleone562 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    At stock I think no throttling but OC'ed throttling in most demanding games even older ones like lfd2 at high settings.

10. Xeneize

Xeneize Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You have to be having another issue... I have never seen throttling in game and running 740M/1625!!! and Benchmark throttling only kicks in afrer 724mhz for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.