5400 vs. 7200 hard drive?

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by dcook101, Apr 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. totti

totti Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i've never heard that they are louder
    if you can get the 7200rpm HDD definetely go for it but if you don't need it you can save on this. personally, i do not use p2p onmy new laptop. you can
    download whatever and copy it on a CD or a DVD and then use it on your new one.

2. captainhappypants

captainhappypants Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    anybody know if it would be worth it to opt for a 7200rpm drive if you already have 2gigs but tend to play games like bf2 or would one hardly notice a difference beyond loading it up in the begginning
    thanks in advance

3. instapho

instapho Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    From what I've heard, you won't notice it, aside from the rare instances the game demands something from the HDD. Don't take my word for it tho, I'm no CE:D

I had a question of my own, i'm pondering the idea of purchasing a 7200HDD for a MacBook. For warrenty purposes would it be a good idea to hold onto the stock HDD, as I am thinking of ebaying it to compensate the 7200 costs.

4. xAMDvsIntelx

xAMDvsIntelx Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You'll only notice game speed-ups from a 7200RPM drive when loading - other than that, performance is largely unaffected.

instapho: I would hold onto the original HD. Most notebook makers won't void your warranty for switching out your HD, but won't service your notebook unless it has its original HD.

5. LostCause

LostCause Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    As far as 5400rpm drives being louder than 7200rpm drives, my instinct makes me think that's BS. The only reason a 7200rpm drive might be quieter is that it balances itself out because of its higher speed (kind of how an engine runs smoother under load but can idle rough).

The thing to look for, regardless of speed, are the bearings. I'm pretty sure new drives come with fluid bearings that make them quieter. I bought a HDD for my desktop that was around $10 cheaper than a model with fluid bearings and the difference is noticeable. Either that, or my HDD just sucks...:) (Don't go Maxtor, heh)

IMO, 7200 vs. 5400 isn't a big enough speed difference to warrant an upgrade. I'm not very performance oriented, though. Definately buy ram (two 1gb sticks) over a slightly faster HDD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.