1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

5400 RPM vs 7200 RPM?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by raiderlax27, Aug 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raiderlax27

raiderlax27 Notebook Consultant

I was wondering how much of a difference between 5400 and 7200 rpm hard drives, in speed, battery comsumption and anything else in genral. Also would a 7200 be worth 40$ more?

2. miner

miner Notebook Nobel Laureate

Well, performance will be only slightly noticable...manufacturing process has improved so the power requirements have decreased but still with the 7200rpm HD expect a 5% increase in power consumption.

For the average user 5400rpm HD are more than enough, the only improvement over it will be in system startup & program loading times...

So if you can afford go for it, otherwise a 5400rpm HD is also very capable.

3. Brian

Brian Working at 486 Speed NBR Reviewer

And it depends on what you're going to be doing. Regular office apps and web, it's not going to benefit you much, if at all.

4. Xerxes

Xerxes Notebook Consultant

Well seagate and hatichi(second gen) are boasting 7200rpms that consume as much as a 5400rpm... I only plan to get a 7200 because i'm prone to multimedia and games...

I guess a middle solution would be getting a laptop with 8mb cache... Hmmmm, or did i dream about that...

5. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.