512mb vs 1gb ram - big difference?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by s1ade, Jul 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s1ade

s1ade Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, I was thinking of getting a dell inspiron 9300 and was I wondering whether 1gb would make a big difference over 512mb

It adds $250 CAN to the price.

It's either
    1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 2 Dimm
    or
    512MB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 2 Dimm

I don't want the system to get outdated too fast. I'm getting a 256mb gfx card in it so should I also get 1gb of ram?

Thanks

2. KrispyKreme50

KrispyKreme50 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Right now, there aren't many programs that take advantage of 1 GB but in the future memory demands should increase so it is better to install now for future peace of mind.

3. Brian

Brian Working at 486 Speed NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I would get 1GB if you can, but I'd do it with 512 on one DIMM from Dell and buy the other 512 elsewhere. It will be cheaper that way.

4. s1ade

s1ade Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    is that possible? On the customize option I only have 3 choices and they are all 2 DIMM...is there a special was to make a change like that?

5. someguydude

someguydude Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Optimally, buy it with bare memory options and just buy a new stick from Newegg.

6. imdashep

imdashep Notebook Consultant NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    for $250 you can pretty much get two 1 GB sticks to upgrade yourself; very easy to do on dells

7. Vindicated

Vindicated Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    If you have 512MB on your computer right now, you'll notice that XP uses about 200-250mb of it. The other half goes to your programs. So going with 1GB really just depends on what kind of programs you're running and how much multi-tasking you do.

If your system is mainly used for internet and word processing you won't notice any difference. However you mentioned a graphics card, so I assume your into games or video editing. If that's the case then 1GB might be nice, but still isn't critical. I feel that the video card and processor are more important. I would spend more on the graphics card if your a gamer.

Remember, the CPU takes programs & files from the hard drive and puts them into memory only while the program is in use. Most programs don't use more memory then it needs to run. In fact it's really only games, and video editing that request more memory and that's because it's always loading new files (usually images and video which the graphics card and it's own ram can handle).

8. imdashep

imdashep Notebook Consultant NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    yah but 1 gb line is huge. like 1 v 2 gb isnt big, but 512mb vs 1 gb is definately something worth doing

9. admoore

admoore Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ..nice notebook by the way. May I ask ..what the rpm of the HDD is ...?

10. Jhyphi

Jhyphi Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'd suggest getting the 256 1 dimm.

Then upgrade through newegg, crucial, etc.

Through newegg, 2gb is $220, through crucial, $280.
    1gb is like $140.

Don't get the 512 2 dimm. They're just sticking another 256 mb stick in it. Which you'll likely need to pull out soon anyways.