512 nvme or m.2 1tb ssd

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by TBoneSan, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    The CPU is not the problem, the NVMe controller initialization is what's causing me the boot penalty.

Example, on my wife's 4 year old Dell Vostro which has a Crucial MX100 512GB SSD. when I press the the power button, by the time she's on the Windows desktop, I would still be waiting for me to see the MSI Logo splash screen on my laptop. Once the Windows loading circle animation starts it's fast, the problem is the initialization takes forever. This was the same on my previous Clevo laptops as well and the same on my Origin PC Millennium Desktop PC which had an Intel 750 1.2TB NVMe SSD

jclausius and Vasudev like this.
  2. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Platform differences perhaps? The mighty mini's boot times from when the BIOS message is cleared away to actual Windows or Linux log-in is about 3.5 seconds.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Vasudev, alexhawker and Ultra Male like this.
  3. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    boot penalty came from mostly bios/OS. cpu are already so fast, SSD you may benefit more with higher 4k read/write for boot, but ultimately it is the firmware/software thats limiting it. Win10 RS2 has amazing boot time paired up with optane, OS itself needs to be re-written. most of the stuff i do in windows are still only using 1 cpu core and it sucks.

@TBoneSan

https://www.eteknix.com/samsung-show-off-8tb-nvme-ssd-ces-2018/ this would solve your issue. except that it may not fit :D

Vasudev and Ultra Male like this.
  4. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Wondering what you ended up using in the end?

I would use the fastest SSD with the biggest capacity that doesn't unnecessarily slow down my workflows (at these capacities external storage is always required... NAS highly recommended for your RAW + finished files...).

See:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/samsung-sm961-ssd-256gb-512gb,review-33601-3.html

See:
    https://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/storage/crucial-mx300-review/7/

With external storage as a given (for your RAW workflow) the capacity of the SSD becomes moot after a certain point (being able to hold the projects is all that is required...). The fastest SSD then becomes the 'winner' in my books.

Of course; that is after the O/S, software and CPU and RAM is maxed out too (I hope you have => 16GB RAM and a true QC cpu with the most advanced software to power your workloads on Win10x64Pro).

Thanks in advance for updating this thread. ;)

Vasudev likes this.
  5. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    @tilleroftheearth thanks for your interest bro. I ended up going with the 1tb. Mainly because I needed the computer to be able to work independently of any NAS/External storage for unspecified periods of time - more of a playing it safe scenario. After setting up the machine and a few old archives I've already used around 280gb. So I think I've probably made the right choice, the OS is snappy enough and reviewing RAWs images thankfully met my more optimistic expectations.