]]>

512 nvme or m.2 1tb ssd

Discussion in 'Solid State Drives (SSDs) and Flash Storage' started by TBoneSan, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    The CPU is not the problem, the NVMe controller initialization is what's causing me the boot penalty.

Example, on my wife's 4 year old Dell Vostro which has a Crucial MX100 512GB SSD. when I press the the power button, by the time she's on the Windows desktop, I would still be waiting for me to see the MSI Logo splash screen on my laptop. Once the Windows loading circle animation starts it's fast, the problem is the initialization takes forever. This was the same on my previous Clevo laptops as well and the same on my Origin PC Millennium Desktop PC which had an Intel 750 1.2TB NVMe SSD

jclausius and Vasudev like this.
  2. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Platform differences perhaps? The mighty mini's boot times from when the BIOS message is cleared away to actual Windows or Linux log-in is about 3.5 seconds.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Vasudev, alexhawker and Phoenix like this.
  3. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    boot penalty came from mostly bios/OS. cpu are already so fast, SSD you may benefit more with higher 4k read/write for boot, but ultimately it is the firmware/software thats limiting it. Win10 RS2 has amazing boot time paired up with optane, OS itself needs to be re-written. most of the stuff i do in windows are still only using 1 cpu core and it sucks.

@TBoneSan

https://www.eteknix.com/samsung-show-off-8tb-nvme-ssd-ces-2018/ this would solve your issue. except that it may not fit :D

Vasudev and Phoenix like this.