500gb or 1tb m2. SSD Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Drew1, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    With better Phison E12 controller based TLC drives like the "Inland Premium" at similar prices and sometimes lower for the 1TB (Sometimes as low as $99.99) compared to the 660P, the 660P isn't really much of a value. The 660P is much worse as the drive fills over time (I'm not talking about sustained which the 660P obviously will also be worse at once you hit the QLC), as it uses the dated Silicon Motion controller, putting aside the fact that it's using QLC NAND. No reason to pay more for an SSD with a worse controller and NAND....

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    Aroc, Vasudev and JRE84 like this.
  2. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey all. So I will be ordering a new 1tb m.2 ssd this week.

So when looking at all these, I feel like it basically comes down to either of these two?

Samsung 970 EVO $185

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-...hild=1&keywords=m.2+ssd&qid=1600527543&sr=8-5

WD Black SN750 $165
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M64QXMN/ref=twister_B08GFLBM1R?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Avoid the cheaper 1tb ssds that cost like $120 and under like the WD WD Blue 3D and Crucial right?

I will also want to clone my ssd as well... my current 2.5 inch samsung sata ssd to the new 1tb m.2 ssd.

Now from what i read online, the wd black sn750 is very good or just as good as the samsung 970 evo? But are both of them exactly the same? Because i read the samsung is a bit faster?

The last thing I want to do is pay 20 dollars less and i have issues with it with the WD Black one and I thought getting samsung is always the best even if you pay more right?

3. Aivxtla

Reputations:

Right now the recently released SK Hynix P31 is probably actually the best overall TLC based PCIE 3.0 drive (The WD Black and 970 EVO are also TLC) and as a bonus even cheaper compared to those two plus better power draw characteristics as well.

https://www.amazon.com/SK-hynix-Gol...tb&qid=1600529139&sprefix=sk+hynix+p31&sr=8-3

AnandTech Review:
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/16012/the-sk-hynix-gold-p31-ssd-review

Compared to the WD, Samsung is better at maintaining performance/lower latency as the drive fills and the WD Black had an issue previously with going into idle causing greater power draw, not sure if that was fixed in later firmwares.

TLDR: Buy the SK Hynix!

Also try to avoid the Silicon Motion controller based drives like the XPG (Adata) SX8200, HP EX900 ones they are relatively worse compared to Samsungs or Phison E12 based drives when putting aside empty drive tests you actually look at performance/latency as the drive fills.

Also as for recommendations of putting extra OP on the SSDs, the controllers already use unused space as OP, no need to worry about that for regular use unless you’re benchmarking, lots of sequential transfers or have certain workflows/enterprise stuff in general that would actually notice the decrease in performance as the drive fills. For gaming or regular use you won’t notice much difference if any, coming from experience with numerous drives. Write Amplification would go up but the drive would likely still last you way longer than you’d probably keep it.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    Vasudev and Aroc like this.
  4. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Hi. I googled the sk hynix... never heard of it. Well it seems to be around $147 total compared to around $183 for the samsung 870 evo so like $35 less. I checked the reviews and its pretty good.

Okay so if money isn't an option... I mean its not really a big deal since the samsung evo is around $185 and the WD Black is around $163 and this one is around $147... i don't want it where me paying $20 or $40 less would mean more issues later on. So based on that, would you say fine just pay a premium for the samsung 870 evo?

I would be mainly using it for online poker, web browsing, music etc.

So based on this and what you described, either go with the one you described sk hynix or the samsung 870 evo? The one you say to avoid... adata and hp ex900... yea those i saw many negative reviews of.

Why is the WD Blue so cheap though at around $115 for the 1tb one? That should be avoided as well right? I read lot of negative reviews that it went bad or its slow? Now that is kind of making me not want to get the WD Black 750 because its the same brand... do you think that is foolish?

Also the sk hynix, since you say its pretty new... wouldn't you say that is something one might want to avoid as well since samsung has a reputation of being very good?

5. Aivxtla

Reputations:
    It’s not some no name off brand don’t worry, Sk Hynix is one of the main NAND manufacturers along side Micron (Crucial), Samsung, Toshiba (WD controls the flash division), Intel. The likes of HP, Corsair, Sabrent, SPG (Adata) etc all buy Flash from these guys for their SSDs and are just integrators/rebranders making neither their own controller or Flash. Common controller makers are Samsung (own SSDs), Marvell, Phison, Silicon Motion and some others. Pretty sure SK Hynix is using an in-house controller on the P31.

I have yet to hear anything negative about the Sk Hynix model so far.

6. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Hey, did not know that... when i heard the brand i just thought i never heard of it and it wasn't a good idea.

I looked through the reviews on amazon and only like 1-2 negative reviews on the m.2 nvme ssd from sk hynix which is good. I see tons of reviews on their 2.5 inch ssd... but i can't get that because i want the bigger battery on my laptop.

So in my situation and wanting a 1tb m.2 ssd... either pay more for the samsung 970 evo or go with the Sk Hynix for like $35 less right? Its around $183 for samsung and $147 or so for the Sk Hynix.

7. Aivxtla

Reputations:
    The Hynix is still better overall better and battery life too as it’s got lower power draw.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
  9. Aivxtla

Reputations:
    The average user won’t notice the difference for every day use, I already mentioned you’d take a hit in performance/endurance in my post, looks like you didn’t read past “benchmarking”...

The average user need not do stuff like 20-25% OP... And yes I’ve seen performance charts/endurance and Write Amplification at various OP levels etc long back, infact AnandTech had more in depth charts than that link you provided... so yes I am more than aware.

Again as I said before unless you have workloads you’d notice the difference in it’s not too much to worry about for the average user or gamer in the real world...

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    You lay all the eggs in hit on performance/endurance. I would at least add in 10% OP above factory reserved space if you have a tendency to fill up your ssds. Near full disks will worn out faster. Not ideal if you tend to have your hardware over several years.

And from what I have seen... People will use up all remaining ssd capacity instead for move some of it back on a old slow HDD or run to the shop and buy a bigger one:)

Vasudev, tilleroftheearth and Aivxtla like this.