500gb or 1tb m2. SSD Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Drew1, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have nothing against the 660p, it's just the worst SSD that he mentioned out of the 4. It's still decent, and yes it's arguably faster than SATA SSD's, which is nice, but it's relatively slow once the cache runs out and its QLC.

2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Your Next SSD Might Be Slower (Thanks to QLC Flash)

So Should You Avoid QLC?
    You should definitely avoid QLC drives with 512 GB (and less, once it becomes cheaper to produce), as they don’t make much sense. You’ll fill them up much quicker, and the cache will be smaller when it’s full, making it considerably slower. Plus, they’re currently not much cheaper than the alternatives.

Despite its shortcomings, QLC flash isn’t too much of an issue when you look at the higher capacity drives. The 2 TB model of the 660p features a minimum of 24 GB of cache when it’s filled up. It’s still QLC flash, but it’s an acceptable trade-off for a cheap 2 TB SSD that operates really fast most of the time.

3. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    The point I was getting at is that as long as I don't go over my 24GB cache, it's faster at writes than my 960 EVO. So I don't get the slow part of your argument. (Yes, I know the cache is writing to the QLC at a slow rate, but then again the EVO has a NAND cache too and when you overrun that it can crawl as well)

4. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey all well it seems like most people seem to agree the 970 is best one of all. And the 660p seems to have the least good remarks from ppl on this thread. The thing is for me, i want this ssd to be futureproof for a long time... thus i dont want to pay a cheaper price and then either it has a higher probability of going bad... but most importantly... if its slow and then i go... why did i not pay more for the 870 evo. Also i don't want an issue where i go... okay now im running out of space with my 500gb which probably would not happen for a long time. But 1tb would be more than enough forever i think.

Again, i would like to use my xps 15 9550 for many more years. I had this laptop for a bit under 3 years already. Thus based on this, don't even bother spending a bit less for that sabrent or adata right? It would be either $60+ or $20+ dollars less.

Here is the other thing though. My current laptop that uses a 250gb ssd... is there a way to find out which ssd brand and model i have without opening up my laptop? Im pretty certain this 250gb ssd came from a sager laptop that i bought years ago... but that sager laptop went bad and didn't work, so the ssd got removed from it. I think its a samsung 250gb ssd... but im not sure. Also would you almost 100% this ssd is a sata drive since this ssd is around 5 plus years old? A few years before that, i bought a 250gb samsung ssd off amazon as well. So i have like 2 of these 2.5 inch 250gb ssd. But im not 100% sure if this 250gb ssd was the one i bought over 6+ years ago or it was the one that came with my sager 5+ years ago. I do have the other 250gb samsung ssd that i have but i just leave it in the closet.

Wouldn't this mean my 2.5 inch samsung ssd im using now is a SATA drive? But to me, my laptop is very fast. Booting up and eveything is fast. So you are saying that all those ssds listed are going to be faster than the one i have now that is either 5+ or 6+ years old? Or not because its a samsung ssd.

The other thing is would you say my laptop is future proof with its processor? Its an i5-6300 hq. Thus its a few years old. But its a quad core processor... even though its an i5 and not i7. And its not one of those u processors from back then.

But this i5-6300hq is probably good for many years to come right?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  5. Mastermind5200

Reputations:
    6300HQ will be fine for web browsing for atleast a couple of years, even dual cores from the 2nd and 3rd generation of CPUs are still doing fine, I was able to use a P8400 to use a couple of tabs just the other day.

As for the SSD, if you want the best, its simply the Samsung. If you dont want to spend that much, you should decided between the Adata and Sabrent. You can use HWinfo to see your current SSD and what brand it is.

6. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    When you say dual cores from 2nd and 3rd generation, can you give me like examples? Such as like 4510u processor? Like example of a 2nd and 3rd generation processor?

Well my i5-6300hq is pretty fast. I recall back when i bought it, there was option of i7-6700hq but i went with the 6300hq because of price. But is the i7-6700hq much more than the one i have or not that much? Back then i read as long as its quad core, which the i5-6300hq is... i went with that.

So you are saying processors like the i7-8750H that is out now. that would be good for at least double the years of the i5-6300hq?

7. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    Samsung Magician will ID all your drives, as well as CrystalDiskInfo

8. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    For most people, using a notebook, the Intel 660p 2TB model with OP'ing of at least 33% is the only option if you want a fast experience with the longest battery runtimes.

Pure speed is useless if it cuts battery life by half an hour or more and gets less actual work done. ;)

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  9. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What SSD “cuts battery life by half an hour or more” compared to another SSD?

10. Mastermind5200

Reputations:
    I believe he was referring to me referring to the 970

Vasudev and tilleroftheearth like this.