5 cars that look better in-person than on paper/internet & viceversa

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Petrovic, Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allfiredup

allfiredup Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I've never been a fan of the Liberty, especially the 1st generation bug-eyed version ('02-'07). It was unfortunate looking, underpowered and had the worst ride quality and handling in the cute-ute class...BUT, it was/is a real truck-based, Trail-Rated, mountain goat off the pavement! When the going gets tough, it drives like a Jeep!

The Compass and Patriot are downright blasphemous to the Jeep name! :mad: They're car-based 'crossover' vehicles with gutless 4-cylinder engines and 'gearless' CVT instead of a proper transmission. Not to mention front-wheel-drive standard! And being "car-based" isn't a sin in itself, but it is for a Jeep! They're based on the godawful Dodge Caliber and the fact that the Compass, Patriot or Caliber have sold largely to rental fleets and no one else says it all!!!

They're all on the chopping block just as soon as Chrysler can finish prying off all the FIAT badges and gluing on Dodge/Chrysler ones...

Back to the Liberty...it was the replacement for the original Cherokee (which was hardly changed from 1984 thru 2001), but they probably could have kept building the ancient Cherokee a few more years and sold more! The same goes for Dodge with the Caliber. Several car mags have said they'd have been far better off if they'd kept the Neon in production rather than replace it with the Caliber.

Chrysler has almost done to Jeep what GM managed to do Saab- DESTROY THEM! I never dreamed we'd look back on the AMC/Renault ownership of Jeep as the "good ol' days". Then again, Renault was responsible for offloading AMC (and Jeep along with it) to Chrysler. Chrysler couldn't discard the Renault-based AMC products fast enough, all they wanted was Jeep- the CASH COW! At least Lee Iacocca didn't slap a Jeep grille on a version of the K-car! :rolleyes: :p

2. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Apparently you've never been in the diesel, it had TONS of power. And the 2006 had the best 4WD system, I believe it even had a differential lock mode. Its a real shame that the EPA had to step in and crush that diesel, because it was a great ride, even considering the looks and the stereotype of a chick ride.

I've even had some of those little diesels throw down with my 6.7 cummins(ok, they didn't really have a chance but I was impressed with how well they kept up).

3. allfiredup

allfiredup Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The 2.8L CRD I-4 was available in '05 and '06, right? I remember that all the car mags praised it both for power and huge MPG gains vs. the 3.7L V6. Supply (lack thereof) was a problem also. They underestimated demand significantly and probably would have sold a lot more if the plug wasn't pulled in 2006.

I have driven an '08 Grand Cherokee with the 3.0L Turbodiesel V6 (made by Mercedes-Benz). It makes 376lb-ft of torque at 1600rpm! It's almost like locomotive meets jet engine until it gets up near 4000rpm...it hits a wall at that point. You learn real quick that there's no reason to go beyond 3000rpm to get some serious speed going.....

And, of course, it was dropped in 2/09 due to certification issues....thanks again EPA! :mad:

4. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Yes, it was 05 and 06, but the 06 had a different 4x4 system that was just superior to the one in the 05. Yeah, Jeep just figured that americans would be them stupid selves and dislike diesels, so they didn't produce enough of them. But shortly there after the EPA stepped in and wrecked that and made every other diesel MUCH MUCH more work.

5. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    Hey Now I like both of those vehicles!:p

The liberty is a more then capable jeep trust me on that.

See thats why i love the liberty, I did not buy a jeep for comfort or power. If I want a powerful car Ill open my garage and drive the talon. Other wise my liberty hauls tons of gear can tow 5000lbs and can offroad pretty nice for what it is, plus it was the only 4 door 2005+ jeep that the wife and I could afford when the turbo on the talon died.

As for the looks I prefer it to the newer boxier libby, plus its the closest looking to the wrangler. Jeeps are meant to have round eyes, fender flares, 7 slot grill and a tire mounted on the back. Now the liberty does not have a solid front axle and that is a shame, but still a great truck for me and my needs.:D

The 2.8CRD is a beast! They are making 335-350Lbs/ft (not the stock US spec liberty) of torque on some models and averaging mid 30s+ MPG. I wish I had gotten a CRD liberty but the 3.7 isn't too shabby. Yeah the power and MPG is low but it's a workhorse and known to go the distance.

As for the chick stereotype not only Jeeps have this but also mustangs, camaros, etc do too. Lets face it there are more women then men and really I could care less about which dominates the owner base of a vehicle (the wrangler also has a larger female driver base then male). :)

The problem with diesels in the US is there is a small demand for them overall. I believe its somewhere around 5% of cars on the road or less that are diesels. Its a shame cause there are alot of clean diesels running around the world that do MUCH better the hybrids (waits for Kernal Panic to bombard my statements :) ). The only thing that will pry my beloved Jeep from me is when they bring the 2.8CRD Wrangler JK. Until then its all 2006 KJ Renegade on ATs!

I agree 100%. Sadly Americans are all hell bent on hybrids being the most superior vehicles around.

My dream jeep just make it jeep metallic green with beige/tan hard top and interior and Im in heaven (minus the leather, 18s and fancy stuff as Im a minimalist).

http://www.bc4x4.com/inthenews/default.cfm?ID=177

6. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    I am tempted to buy a 1st generation Liberty if the Taurus gets me mad enough ...

Would have to be a 5 speed manual.

And a dana44 rear upgrade would follow quite quickly.

My only gripe about the Liberties is IFS.

7. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    Agreed. Now Im a firm believer that not every Jeep enthusiast is about pure offroading (im one of them). But when you put a solid rear axle in a rig and go IFS for "comfort" you're wasting your time. I believe in either full independent or fully solid. The IFS does not make the liberty drive comfortably so why have it?

8. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    porsche panamera and aston martin one-77

9. Ferrari

Ferrari Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    well for me it would be the Ferrari 599 and Enzo. They look way way better in person. They are truly a work of art. I expect the new 458 to be the same way.

10. Azone

Azone Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It would be really sad if Chrysler goes forth and makes the Jeep Wrangler EV (40 miles on a charge and then switch to gas). I mean, that's fine for a typical driver, but a Wrangler? It deserves a torquey, grunty, dependable, motor. Diesel fits the bill perfectly and I really hope things become brighter for Jeep.

And as for cars that look better in person. Well many cars look good in pictures, but look even better in person. Audi S5, VW Golf, Nissan GT-R, andany Aston come to mind.

One key car is the Porsche Panamera. When I first saw it in pictures, I didn't like the design much at all. But recently I saw it in a parking garage, and it wasn't half bad at all. It certainly had presence, and not in a bad way. Heck, it was beautiful compared some other cars (Honda Crosstour, new Toyota 4Runner, new Lexus GX, Honda Pilot, new Subaru Legacy, Acura TL, Acura ZDX, BMW X6). Heck, when I saw the Crosstour in person, it instantly became the worst looking car I have ever laid eyes on. In pictures, it was somewhat bearable, but in person it was laughable. Ever since, I've actually found the Pontiac Aztek to be very good looking :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.