4K Resolution, why should you care about it?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Joedoewoe, Dec 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Joedoewoe

Joedoewoe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've grown a little tired of reading posts with statements like "you can't resolve 4K anyway, so grab the FHD laptop", "battery cost of 4K outweigh the benefit in resolution and picture quality", and "scaling is terrible on 4K". Statements like these are perfectly reasonable for moving images AT THIS TIME because screen technology as it stands for laptops tops at either: 4K 60Hz refresh rate, or FHD 144Hz refresh rate. Gaming with faster response times certainly improves the experience more than slightly more resolved polygons.

THAT BEING SAID, people have taken this fact too far claiming "144Hz 1080p screen with 100% Adobe RGB is superior to 4K 60Hz for most nonprofessional applications". I'm sorry but this is simply not true. The benefit of a 4K panel has somehow been misconstrued: the benefit is more on-screen pixel real estate. Notice I said nothing about your eye resolving anything. Anytime you look at your home screen, this forum, or a jpeg; you are looking a 1 still image which can be manipulated graphically. Having 2,073,000 pixels (1080p) at your disposal to manipulate is certainly very nice, but having 8,294,400 pixels (4K) is still four times "nicer".

Gaming: for a game like civilization 5, most objects on screen are not moving at any given time (for the sake of argument scrolling across the map doesn't count). Small landscapes can be made more realistic and gorgeous with 4k, and in my opinion appreciated and additive to the overall playing experience.

Menuing: 4k allows a word document, web page, and two games be equally as resolved on screen as one FHD screen. This is not gimmicky. Anybody who multitasks, or needs to examine two separate applications on screen simultaneously absolutely benefit from this.

If you read this whole rant you have my appreciation. I value what graphical real-estate can bring, and I'm sure there are other values you can also conjure up if you tried.

Starlight5 likes this.
  2. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If i was buying today i'd go for 1440p, but if you like 4k there is nothing wrong with that - everyone has preferences. The extra real estate and pixel density are probably quite nice to have, but personally i'd prefer a higher refresh rate. In a few years though when GPU power has increased and we get 120/144hz 4K displays I might be tempted to switch. I wouldn't buy another 1080p panel unless I had a GPU which was incapable of running higher resolutions, or if my display was under 15 inches.

On the topic of real estate though, one thing that I miss is having a 16:10 display rather than 16:9. Sure you end up with more bulk, but the extra vertical space is very nice to have. Its a shame they are hard to come by in laptops nowadays unless you go for one of Apple's latest bowel movements.

Joedoewoe and Starlight5 like this.
  3. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Load of crap.
    144hz is significantly better than 60hz. The difference between 4k and 1440p is not that big in picture quality either. Since all my media is running at least at 105hz I can clearly see the difference and I'm not only talking about Gaming, even doing simple tasks. Scrolling on a webpage 60hz monitor gives me cancer because it's so insanely choppy, there is absolutely no real argument for 4k.

Also your argument with upscaling is absolutely stupid. Upscaling on any media, such as pictures and video look horrific.

Not only does 4k gimp my games to low FPS when trying to play at native resolution, cause problems with multiple programs that don't scale well with resolution and running extremely slow but it's also stupidly expensive for no reason.

Nobody should purchase a 4K screen. If you like good picture quality then 1440p is the way to go.

4. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Computers are used for other things than gaming.
    4K is fantastic for sharper text. I'm a developer and stare at text 8h/day and I just cannot stand low dpi monitors anymore.
    All my 4K monitors, a 27", a 24" and a laptop 17" are 4K and configured for 1080p HiDpi as I do not want to see more text with smaller fonts that would be eye tiring (for me), but I want to see sharper text.
    Speaking of which, macOS font rendering is just plain **** with low dpi monitors since at least a few years when they introduced the "Retina" buzzword. Windows has been historically better at it, but this is getting worse.
    Also, you often hear: "4K is useless without a 32" or higher monitor". Well, If you want to run your desktop at 4K, sure. But not at all if you just want 1080p or 1440p @ HiDpi. Pixel density is awesome and the smaller the monitor is, the higher pixel density is.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    Brad331, Joedoewoe, Dellaster and 2 others like this.
  5. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Then you absolutely failed in your quest for sharper text. Scaled text is washed up and extremely blurry. You would have sharper text on a 1440p native monitor than upscaled on 4k monitor.

I figured that you have slow 4k monitors.
    In comparison I have access to all kinds of monitors all ranging from 1080p 60hz to 4k 60hz, hence I can tell you that 1440p 120/144hz is the absolute sweetspot. I am so used to the fluidity that when I tried to work on an upscaled 4k screen (much like you do now), did not only the blurryness bother me but everytime I would scroll, the lag would annoy the hell out of me.

Instead of telling people who had a comparison between 4k and 1440p to stop bashing on 4k monitors, try 1440p 120+hz yourself. Then you'll know why people trashtalk the 4k monitors. Once you got used to the fluidity that the high refreshrates give you and the sharpness on native 1440p resolution, then you'll understand why nobody should ever purchase a 4k monitor unless you go 40"+.

Installed64 and Spartan like this.
  6. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Yeah I have dual 27" monitors. 1440p 165Hz IPS and 4k 60 IPS. I do strongly prefer the 4k monitor for watching videos... But that's pretty much it. Anything that doesn't need color accuracy (which isn't related to resolution directly but many of the most color accurate monitors do tend to be 4k these days) I'd pretty much always take the higher refresh rate.

1080p is a bit low for my spoiled eyes now, but 1440p from a normal sitting distance on a 27" monitor is quite a good experience. Hopefully we'll get some real 4k 144 monitors eventually once Nvidia makes some better gpus that can actually run anything at that refresh.

Joedoewoe likes this.
  7. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm sorry to disappoint you but both my Dell P2415Q and Acer Predator XB271HK have super sharp text rendering at 1080p @ HiDPI (200% scaling). The Dell is even better due to the higher dpi. Enjoy your lower dpi screens.

8. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

Reputations:
    I personally would prefer WQHD up to 14", and 4K on 15.6" and larger. FHD is not sharp enough, and more importantly does not provide enough workspace even at my current 12.5" - let alone larger displays. As for gaming at higher refresh rates - in Overwatch, Kephrii r***d the s**t out of everybody with his widow @ 60Hz, that's reason enough for me personally not to bother with higher refresh rates. But then again, for me productivity outweighs gaming considerably, and I had laser eye surgery to restore eyesight to almost perfect.

Joedoewoe and Aroc like this.
  9. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Right, so at the native 4K resolution, you can't see anything unless your father was a hawk. So you'd have to revert to DPI Scaling which only brings blurriness and misaligned buttons/text in apps that are not fully compliant with DPI Scaling. So if you need to DPI Scale, then why the heck buy a 4K screen in the first place??! Freakin' get a 1080P that you can see at the crisp native resolution and be done with it! :rolleyes:

Oh and to the OP, if you like 4K and enjoy it, then no one is stopping you. Let the people with brains buy what they want.

I'd take a buttery smooth 120hz screen any day of the week then this 4K Marketing fluff screen.

Oh wow! more pixels d00d, but you can't see nothin' at the native resolution which is the ONLY way to look at an LCD screen otherwise the image is not as crisp and blurry in apps that don't support system wide DPI Scaling! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

Reputations:
    @Ultra Male I can do 213 PPI @ 100% scaling easily (maybe even more - don't have a Windows device with higher PPI around to check), while FHD means less than 200 PPI on any reasonably sized laptop. And if you change display orientation - FHD just sucks, it's simply unusable for productivity tasks, WQHD/QXGA being the minimum usable resoltuions.

p.s. I am not referring to crappy blurry pentile displays of course.

Joedoewoe, Arrrrbol and Spartan like this.