4K Monitor Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Drew1, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Okay so i just made my settings in dpi 100%. Then i am using chrome now and zoom went from 100% to 125%.

So basically just make my dpi 100% so i could play... and just set my chrome zoom at 125% then right? I had no idea this could be done. I thought i had to stick with everything dpi 100% or 125%... so everytime before i play, i needed to set dpi to 100%.

Starlight5 and tilleroftheearth like this.
  2. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    I don't want to use anything other than 100% scaling, always.

The tables don't look that small to me. You're making too much of what 60 extra pixels per table can offer. And you're ignoring the size they will be when you have a right-sized display panel for 4K resolution. 43" is the minimum. 48" or larger is ideal (as you go larger, you can physically move the display further from you too) a wall mount option at desktop monitor height is also a great idea (and not at a normal TV height which puts the center of the screen at eye level for an ideal TV viewing experience).

I would get a pain too looking corner to corner on a 32' 4K monitor. Those pixels would be huge! :D

But having/needing to move my head to see the entire screen is not a bother at all. It is a blessing. My neck hasn't been sore (from keeping it in one position for hours on end) for a very long time now, and that wasn't always the case. ;)

Next time don't listen to the herd mentality. Most people know $#$#.

Starlight5 likes this.
  3. Starlight5

Starlight5 Yes, I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Reputations:
    1. Open Chrome
    2. Press on three dots in right top corner
    3. Change Zoom to 125%

The same can be done in other browsers, should you use them.
    ^This!

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  4. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Hey. Well whatever computer i used... i never even looked at or knew about the DPI setting. So i assume i always used the default... which is 100%. For example, thats the default dpi on my laptop screen as well for 1920x1080. And its also that for the 1920x1200. But for the 32' 4k monitor... recommended is 150%... which i found is way too big.

Im not sure what the default was set at for the 32' 4k... it should have been the recommended right? I know i played around with it... and notice 125% looked decent. And well 100% looked way too small. I mean... i would rather have the OS at 125%... but 100% is fine. Again when playing... i need the stats to be in 100% dpi.

You say 43' 4k should be the minimum for 4k. But if that is the case, then why are the majority of laptop monitors that are 4k... either 27' or 32' then? With some rare 28'... which is basically like a 27' then? Why is it there are very few 43' 4k monitors on the market then? And of course its much more expensive as well.

I have no issue looking from corner to corner on a 32' 4k monitor when web browsing or looking at say excel... but when playing and looking at the resized tables... its a bit of a pain. But i think the main reason might be because im also using one of my 24' monitors next to it.

So because my folding table is only 4 feet wide... i have my 32' 4k monitor on the left side of the table... and the 24' to the right of it... but i put it like slanted if you know what i mean... like it goes to the right like a triangle sort of?

The thing though is my eyes are not like looking straight in the middle of the 32' 4k monitor though because if i do that... then i have to turn even more right to look at the 24' monitor. So i guess if im only looking and playing on that one monitor... by just me centering right on the middle of the 32' 4k monitor... that would be better than right?

The thing is imagine someone with two 32' 4k monitors. The perfect setup would be like making an upside down V when putting them side by side... most agree on this right? But for me... i can't even do this with my 2 monitors... the 32' and the 24' because i dont have enough space on my table because my laptop is on the bottom left of my 4 foot wide folding table.

Im guessing one way i could fix this would be buy one of those things that lift your laptop up so to speak to hold it? I saw it in one of those youtube videos and was shocked because that looks nice. Like it basically saves you desk space... but also gives you another screen to look at... as its like lifting it up. Opinion on that?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  5. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

I notice one issue with this though. I set zoom to 125%. But whenever chrome opens on my 24' monitor... i need to manually change it from 125% to 100%. So its like... the 32' 4k monitor... uses 125% DPI.... but 100% DPI would be used on the 24' monitor... or say my 15.6' laptop screen as well.

Starlight5 likes this.
  6. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    To be fair, you were warned about the scaling mess with small 4k screens.

7. Starlight5

Starlight5 Yes, I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Reputations:
    @Drew1 you can have multiple Chrome profiles, with different settings. Create a separete Chrome profile with 125% zoom for your 4K monitor, and only use it there, while using your regular Chrome profile with 100% zoom on all other monitors.

8. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What do you mean small 4k screens? If people use a 4k monitor for their computer, isn't 27'/28' or 32' the most popular 4k monitor? If you check amazon... there is actually more 27' and 28' 4k monitors compared to 32' 4k monitors. There are very few 40'+ 4k monitors available on amazon and if so, they are very expensive. Like the 43' 4k monitors. But if its a 43' 4k tv... obviously the price is much less.

9. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Can you tell me how I can do this? Because I find it annoying when i drag a chrome page from the 4k monitor to the 1920x1200 monitor... i need to manually change it to 100% zoom. And if say a chrome page is opened on the 1920x1200 monitor and moved to the 4k monitor, i need to change it to 125%.

10. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Okay Im considering another 4k monitor to use along with my current 32' 4k samsung monitor. Would you say it would be bad idea to get another 4k monitor but different size such as a 27' or 28'? Currenting using it together with a 24' 1920x1200 monitor but I don't have much space on my 4 foot folding table. But even with a 6 foot table, it might look awkward?

Thing is with my table, I can't even put those 2 monitors like an upside down letter V because i don't have much space on my table since my dell xps 15 9550 laptop is put on the bottom left of my table and I put it sideways.