4K Monitor Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Drew1, Aug 29, 2020.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Pay attention to details. A TV may not be optimised for extended viewing at short distance. Find out if the TV model uses PWM dimming. You don't want any flicker. The fact that a TV supports PC input means nothing.
    The TV is unlikely to have any sort of adjustable stand either.

BTW If you are spending 12h/day playing poker and a $600 investment in a quality monitor is a problem, then this is a good testament to the state of "professional" online poker today. I digress.

2. Starlight5

Starlight5 Yes, I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Reputations:
    Given the amount of tables, he's likely playing micro-limits. Not much to be earned there, but less risk too, especially in the long run.

tilleroftheearth and etern4l like this.
  3. etern4l

Reputations:
    Right. To make any substantial money you would need to play at high enough stakes, but then you are up against almost exclusively regs and bots playing near-optimal game, so your edge decreases and variance increases. Consequently, the prevailing strategy in cash is furious automated bum hunting, which the operators crack down on too. Collusion can only be prevalent.

The only people consistently earning in online poker are the operators, the affiliates promoting the business, and maybe like the top 1% of players, with their photographic memory for solver charts. Any remaining money on the table goes to bots, cheaters, and/or likely shady regs based in low-cost countries.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  4. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey all. Well I play low to some mid stakes. But everything that is said is correct with the climate of poker is accurate.

But you all still would recommend the 32' 4k monitor over a big 43' 4k TV right? Someone else mentioned how a TV isn't good because when you are moving your eyes around... its much different compared to a monitor because of how long it is vertically. So not only you looking side to side and moving your head around... doing it while vertically with the 43' tv would make it a pain.

Do you agree/disagree with that? I seen a 43' 4k tv display at a walmart here and it didn't look that bad... though of course i wasn't sitting on a chair and putting it on a table.

etern4l likes this.
  5. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Disagree. :D

Buy both, return the inferior product. After you've properly mounted and evaluated then extensively.

If you're eyes don't thank you for bigger fonts at a natural resolution, then any other subtleties already stated won't sway you either. :rolleyes:

6. etern4l

Reputations:
    I have a 43 4K monitor and would highly recommend this format. 32 inch would likely require scaling, whereas 43 inch is usable at 100%. If I were to buy something now, I would try to gun for 120/144Hz, but 60Hz does the job.

7. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Hey. Well the thing is your have a 43 4k monitor... isn't that a big difference than compared to the same TV though?

Yea i heard 32 requires some scaling.

But you or someone mentioned my 24' 1920x1200 doesn't require scaling right since its at 100%?

I dont know anything about those hz but i heard 60hz is what i want because then it won't mouse lag movement?

I know ppl said make sure whatever you get, make sure its same hz otherwise there is mouse lag etc.

8. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

If I was in the US, i would do this. But because Im in Mex... I never did a return and it would be a huge hassle which I don't want to try as it will be a huge pain...

9. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Mex? Either way, no pain, no gain. You always get out what you put into something.

Wishing you the best, either way.

10. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Mexico is what I meant.

If I was in the US, buying and returning it would be a breeze.

But if i use a 32' 4k monitor.... with a 24' 1920x1200 monitor, would it look strange? That is the one concern i have with getting a 32' 4k monitor because i will be using it along with one of my 24' 1920x1200 monitors. So there would definitely be a scaling mismatch between both since mine uses 100% dpi right and the 32' most likely will use 125 or 150% dpi? The person who i spoke to who plays some poker and does software development for a poker program told me i probably would still be using 100% dpi on a 32' 4k monitor. He said when he was using a 27' 4k monitor, he was using dpi at 100% without an issue...

So the point is if i get a 43' 4k tv and use it by itself or with one of my current monitors, no issue with dpi scaling since it will both be 100%. But if i get a 32' 4k monitor... it will look a bit weird then right since my tables probably won't be the same size etc like when i move a table to another screen etc?

Obviously the simplest solution is getting 2 of these 32' 4k monitors, but i dont want to spend that much money on it at the moment.