4K Monitor Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Drew1, Aug 29, 2020.

1. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Don't worry about the models. Learn/research the tell-tell signs of a good/great TV in PC-Monitor mode.

Our eyes are not prejudiced, they see all things of quality, equally well.

A look isn't enough. Go study the great info on that site. All your questions are answered there.

P.S. To be sure, a PC Monitor is of higher quality than a TV (that's why TVs are considered in the first place, they're cheaper...), but we're talking about poker here, there is nothing hard about this for either a TV or a monitor. With the presumption that the TV has good enough qualities for presenting text, etc.

P.P.S. Why are you spamming the forum with the same questions? No wonder you're confusing yourself. :)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  2. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Well i took a look at the 43' and 50' 4k tvs where im located and well they are big ... i could literally put 15 full size tables on a 43' from looking at it. Compare that with 4 tables each on my 24'. Also... if i got two 27' 4k monitors, im positive 6 full size tables or at least close to full size would work... which gives me 12 total tables.

Well I was surprised people talked about that chroma subsampling which would cause a lag with the mouse which is something i never heard of. That would be a huge issue for me because when i move my mouse from table to table on different monitors, i cannot have it lag at all. Like if it lags the mouse movement a bit each time, that would be very annoying. But majority of tv's dont have that issue right? Again, im outside the US, so the site you posted... well there are models that are very similar so its the international version of it i guess and same thing?

Yea i know a monitor is higher quality than a TV. But i was shocked that people could use a big 4k tv as a monitor... i never thought of that as an idea because i felt a tv was for watching tv and movies... not using it for their daily computer task. But you would not recommend a TV though as a monitor right?

Thing is if I didn't play poker, I would not even change my setup as its fine already. When i check youtube, most people with poker setups or gaming setups or just 2-3 monitor setups, they have monitors and not tvs. Well some do... and some recommend it as well... but when reading text, wouldn't a monitor always be better than a TV though? I do browse forums a lot as well and read text and for some reason i feel like looking at a 4k TV would cause eye strain or something.

I checked on amazon for a 40' or 43' monitor and they actually have a few of them... the issue is the cost like $600 or over $1000 for it. Why are there no many 40' monitors then? Is it no demand or something? But its so expensive for one... cheapest one i saw was $600. And there was one for $1000 and one for $1500 i believe. There wasn't much selection.

Well i want to get more opinion from others on this. When i use to buy things, i always bought it on impulse and never did that much research. I spent so much money throughout the years with this so with a monitor/tv... I don't want to do that anymore.

Now you still say get a 43' 4k tv over a 32' 4k monitor if same price? Again the links i posted, im going to get one of them only.

Now would you rather use just one 43' 4k tv... or 2 monitors... 32' 4k and the 24' 1920x1200? Because when im not playing poker, i feel like using that one big 43' 4k tv is not that nice since i would be web browsing and other things. Like i like having chrome windows on 2 of my monitors to look at. I mean, i have very little space to put a 24' 1920x1200 monitor on my desk if i put a 43' 4k tv on it. I would have to put it to back of my side wall if you get what im saying?

The thing though is I'm on the computer at least 12 hours a day minimum staring at the screen...so my concern is doing that with a tv isn't good since i will be up close.

3. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    Whether it's a waste or not is up to you. We pay, we play, we learn. C'est la vie!

You're missing the point with your questions. And again, for clarity, if your current 1080P monitor handles only 4 tables @ 24", then 4 times that resolution will handle 16 tables @ 48" or larger monitor/TV.

If a TV is rated good enough for PC use, then it is both a TV and a monitor. I don't understand why these distinctions are making you hung up?

A monitor manufacturer will of course tell you to only use their tech. Use your own judgment instead and not just save money, but space too, without giving up on the screen real estate you desire.

Your top priority is desk space. Your second is as many tables as possible on screen. A TV of the right specs brings those together economically. Once it's in your hands and you've let yourself get used to it, decide then if you keep or sell it and go back to your lessor setup.

And the lag issue? There isn't one. You're not playing twitch games; you're using a big screen.

I'm on computers all day too. It's nice to sit at my 50" and zoom things to the level I feel comfortable to, at that moment. But, when I need to see 4 desktops' worth of information all at once, I have that too.

4. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Hey. My two 24' monitors are not 1080p. Its 1920x1200. What is the name of 1920x1200 by the way? If my monitors were 1920x1080, which i believe is 1080P, that would be a huge issue because when you open 4 tables... they overlap on 1920x1080. I know 1920x1200 is the absolute minimum I need.

Well I always heard a TV is meant for watching TV/movies etc and its not meant as a monitor. Also if you youtube poker computer setup, you notice how many ppl use 27'28' 4k monitors and some use the 32' 4k. Rarely you see anyone using a big 40'+ tv to play... which is why it confused me because you could put tons of tables that way. Some ppl even put 9 tables or 12 tables on the 24' 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 monitor. That to me is ridiculous because the tables are way too small to look at. I find putting 6 tables on a 24' 1920x1200 a bit too small for my liking.

Yea desk space is very important. But my table is only 4 feet... can't put a 6 feet table which would give me plenty of space. Because a 6 foot folding table, you could put a 43' tv and 2 more monitors to the left/right of it easily. So with my 4 feet table, I know i could put a 43' TV on it... but not sure if i could fit one of my 24' on it as well... it can but the viewing angle would be atrocious as its back would be against the side of the wall to the right of me where im sitting down. I know i could put a 32' 4k monitor on my desk with the 24' next to it without that much of an issue.

Yea a tv seems like it would bring it all together. But on the poker forums, people seem to suggest a monitor over a TV. There were few ppl that said they use big 40' tv and like it. So thats when i thought... why didn't i thought about that?

Well don't you have issues looking up at the screen though since its 50'? I saw how a 43' looks and do see one annoying thing is i have to look a bit higher when staring at it.

Well don't you agree if say you have 2 web browsers opened, its better having one on each monitor as oppose to one whole big TV though? So you use a 50' 4k TV as your monitor... do you use any other monitors next to it? Or is that the only monitor you use?

5. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    1200P? :)

You're telling us that 120 pixels make a difference? I can't believe that online poker can't accommodate 1080P monitors. ;)

I really don't care what YouTubers say about this, I know what works. See if you can find a model that works as well for you too.

I am taller than the TV. I can position it anywhere I want for 'comfort'. Have you heard of wall mounts? Frees up all your desk nicely.

I can have 10 browsers open on my setup (and often do). The main one is still bigger than a 1200P monitor.

[​IMG]

That is the settings for Fancy Zones in MS PowerToys that I have mentioned to you already.

See:
    Microsoft PowerToys für Windows 10: Erstaunlich nützliche Open-Source-Helfer | Tutonaut.de

See:
    FancyZones Tutorial - YouTube

Starlight5 likes this.
  6. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey. Yes its called 1200P. Yes... with poker tables.. having it at least 1200 at the bottom is extremely important. If its 1920x1200 and you have 4 tables, its big tables and no overlap. But if you have 4 tables at 1920x1080 resolution, you don't see the bottom part of the bottom 2 tables. So having it at least 1200 is critical. So if you want to do 6 tables on the 1920x1200, you can with no overlap but the table is bit too small for my liking. And doing it on the 1080P monitor 6 tables... not only you wouldn't be able to see the bottom part of the 2 tables on the bottom... but the middle 2 tables... there is overlap where you can't see the bottom part of those tables as well. Thats just how it is with the design.

I just thought about something else someone mentioned. Unless you mount it to the wall... isn't it an issue if the TV is too high in height. Someone said your eye level should be around the top of the monitor/tv in order for you to not keep looking up and tilting your head. I took a look at my 2 monitor setup and my eye level is looking at the top of the monitor so its around there. But a 43' 4k monitor... i measured it at walmart... its much taller in height where its close to about 6 inches taller than my current 24' monitor. So i would have to keep looking up. Do you have opinion on that? Funny a youtube video mentioned how he uses a 43' tv as monitor and its fine for it but said 50' would be way too high for him. Said he would need to be few inches taller in order to use a 50' TV comfortably with the eye level. Do you have opinion on that?

Okay so any samsung 43' is what you recommend right? Don't go higher than that and stick with samsung?

7. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    Can't really give you any more input as I don't know your local hardware availability and more importantly, your eyes.

Re-read what others and I have posted for you. The information you seek is in there.

But I can understand how you won't grok it until you roll up your sleeves and get into it yourself.

For anything smaller than a 43"-50" TV, get yourself two or more 16:10, 3840x2400 resolution monitors. Though I am still highly doubtful that a poker table needs 1200P. ;)

See:
    PowerToys to gain improved multi-monitor support on Windows 10 | Windows Central

PowerToys and Fancy Zones is a must with anything bigger than a 640x480 viewing window.

8. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Hey. Well yea if i had 2 monitors already that were either 32' or 27' 4k... i wouldn't need to get another monitor. Or i had just one 4k monitor and my 24'... then i might buy another 4k or nothing. Its just that i never had a 4k monitor ever... and people said 4k monitor is the best for putting lot of poker tables etc.

Yea the resolution need to be minimum 1920x1200... because if my 2 monitors were 1920x1080... then it would not be effective at all.

But you still recommend the 43' 4k TV then right? Also would this be a problem? My folding table... is 4 feet wide only. Its about 2 feel long. So its like if i put a 43' 4k tv... it would be hard for my eyes to be farther than 2 feet i say.

9. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  10. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations: