4K Monitor Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Drew1, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey all. So I play online poker as I mentioned in my old posts in my old threads. At the moment, I have 2 monitors that are 24' and 1920 x 1200 resolution which is good. But the thing is I want to get higher resolution because that way, I could put more tables visible. I know most of you don't know much about online poker but basically with my 24' monitors and 1920 x 1200 resolution, I could put 4 default size tables on each monitor... so with 2 monitors... I can see 8 tables. But if I'm playing more tables... imagine 12 tables or 16 tables or even 20 tables, well you see 4 tables on each monitor but behind each table, there are more tables behind it.

Now I tried to put 6 tables on each of my 24' monitor... so that way I could view a total of 12 throughout the 2 monitors. But the main issue was... the tables are a bit too small and uncomfortable to look at... so I had to make it the default size. Now I read from others who play online poker and have 4k monitors... thus 3840 x 2160 resolution... they seem to have 27-28' or even 32' monitor. I believe someone mentioned they play on a big 42' monitor or tv... I'm not sure which one. You could if you want tile 12 or 16 tables on a monitor even the one I have now at 24' but the issue is it would be way too small to read anything so I cannot do that.

But I do know if i have a 4k monitor... I would easily be able to put 6 tables on the monitor even if the table is a bit smaller. Now my questions is this.

Which monitor would you suggest on the list here from amazon? Note, I posted amazon.com but I'm not in the US now... but I could find some of these monitors where I'm located now.

Samsung 28' $300 + tax
    Amazon.com: Samsung 28-Inch UE570 UHD 4K Gaming Monitor (LU28E570DS/ZA) – 60Hz Refresh, Computer Monitor, 3840 x 2160p Resolution, 1ms Response, FreeSync, Split Screen, HDMI, Black: Computers & Accessories

LG 27' $348+ tax
    Amazon.com: LG 27UL500-W 27-Inch UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS Monitor with Radeon Freesync Technology and HDR10, White: Computers & Accessories

Philips 27' $241+ tax
    Amazon.com: Philips 276E8VJSB 27" Monitor, 4K UHD IPS, 1 Billion+ Colors, Ultranarrow Borders, Lowblue, Multiview, 4Yr Advance Replacement Warranty: Computers & Accessories

AOC 27' $290+tax
    Amazon.com: AOC U2790VQ 27" 4K 3840x2160 UHD Frameless Monitor, IPS, 5ms, 1 Billion+ Colors, DisplayPort/HDMI inputs, VESA: Computers & Accessories

Asus 28' $253+tax
    Amazon.com: Asus VP28UQG 28" Monitor 4K/UHD 3840x2160 1ms DP HDMI Adaptive Sync/FreeSync Eye Care Monitor: Computers & Accessories

Samsung 32' $400+tax
    Amazon.com: Samsung 32 inch UJ59 4k monitor (LU32J590UQNXZA) - UHD, 3840 x 2160p, 60hz, 4ms, Dual monitor, laptop monitor, monitor stand / riser / mount compliant, AMD FreeSync, Gaming, HDMI, DP, Black: Computers & Accessories

So from looking at this, it seems like the best value is the samsung 28' which is $300+tax? Seems to have excellent reviews. I see philips 27' is the cheapest one of them all but seems to have okay reviews. LG 27'... seems not good idea since paying 50 dollars more than samsung and 1' smaller than samsung 28'?

The AOC... probably avoid since most people never heard of this model?

The asus 28' seems to be a very good price. But does anyone know why its so low for a 28' since asus is a pretty nice brand?

And if 32' the samsung is pretty good?

Now is it worth paying a bit more for a 32' as oppose to 27'/28'?

Another question I have is this. Is it a bad idea to get a 40'+ tv with 4k resolution and use that as a monitor? I notice those tv's are close to price or even cheaper than some of these monitors that are 27'/28'

2. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Also I like to add that I have dell xps 15 9550 laptop so I connect my 2 monitors now that are 24'... one is via thunderbolt and one that is hdmi. Now I'm not looking to get 2 of these 4k monitors at the moment... just want to get 1 to try it. But does it matter if it has only hdmi or both? Since well... I have cables for both hdmi and thunderbolt?

3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    All of the monitors above are a terrible idea for online poker (much like online poker itself). You will inevitably run into scaling issues etc on monitors this size. I would recommend 40 inch plus which you can think of as 4 FHD monitors in one.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  4. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Buy a 50" (or two) or bigger 4K TV(s) instead. As @etern4l states, 4 FHD screens on each one will give you sixteen tables easily on each TV.

Anything smaller is a complete joke. Use as a TV to make the cost easier to swallow.

If you need to sit close, make sure you buy a curved one to see good details at the edges when you're closer.

See:
    https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/pc-monitor

etern4l likes this.
  5. etern4l

Reputations:
    I have a 43" Acer Et430k I believe. I think it's the largest I would go for desk up close use.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  6. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    @etern4l are you running it natively at 4K? I would agree that at 43' (feet), it would be the largest I could hope for in my office too. :D

With effectively 4x 21.5" FHD monitors, it seems too small to me.

7. etern4l

Reputations:
    Corrected the typo lol. I'm also using a 15 inch FHD laptop as a secondary/ternary display, but it's not super-comfortable at a distance. Consequently FHD at 22 inch would be fine IMHO. I also use 25 inch FHD monitors and can see pixel structure clearly, although it's not disturbing. Definitely max size for FHD and could go smaller for sure. I also had a 22 inch 1650x1080 monitor - this clearly lacked resolution.

4K at anything above 43" would have to be curved for desk use, defo not a TV and probably on the pricier side.

To be fair, a lot depends on the distance to the screen. My screens are around the recommended arm's length, but I guess 50" would be fine on some super-deep desks.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  8. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    4K panel upgrade on your laptop itself might get you what you want and not cost you a fortune either like an external display whether PC specific or TV.

I just swapped my display from FHD to QHD for $150 for the panel, cable, shipping from China.

9. etern4l

Reputations:
    He needs screen estate. There is a lot of detail on those poker tables.

10. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    QHD on a laptop provides the same real estate as a huge monitor. The only difference is the physical size of the panel whether 15.6 or 17" on the laptop. Adjusting the text size down to 150-175% can allow tiling of multiple tables just as well as a bigger external screen. If you drop the text size even further you could scale up the number of windows even further but might need some readers to view things accurately.