4k laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Greel, May 16, 2018.

1. Greel

Greel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget?
    5,000 usd

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    any

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    usa

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    any, currently have an alienware
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    no

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    movies, media, art, and gaming

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    mainly at home

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    yes, fighters/racing mostly

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    2+

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    without seeing is ok

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    windows any

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

4k only

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    any

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    yes, not to flashy. but will consider if its the better buy

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    within a month

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    1yr

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    256gb ssd or more

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    external or internal BR reader

So question is there any good 4k panels yet for photoshop and other editing programs.
    currently using the qhd 13 inch alienware with the 1060gtx, i dont really play anything on it thats too demanding. lower settings when i need to.

2. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What's wrong with your current laptop?

3. Greel

Reputations:
    nothing is wrong with it, just really prefer UHD and when i got that laptop there was no UHD laptops with good color/no deffects and G-sync.

4. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Anything with a 1060+ should be good for light games at 4k, and 5000USD is overkill for 90% of laptops any ways, considering a top of the line Clevo is ~4000 MAX

5. rlk

rlk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think I have to second the comment about $5K being extremely expensive for a laptop; do you really need the max of everything?

If you decide you do, you can pretty much look at high end anything (Lenovo P71, various high end offerings from Clevo and MSI, Dell 7720). The question is whether you want something with a desktop processor and much higher power consumption and weight, or a mobile processor. Clevo (and its many resellers) do have systems with high end Coffee Lake desktop processors. Combine those with a 1080Ti (or SLI pair) and you'll have a crazy fast machine, all right. But do you really need it?

6. rlk

rlk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    One other thing -- "movies, media, and art" could mean anything. Is this about watching movies, or are you talking about heavy duty video and image processing? If it's the former -- you're watching movies and listening to music -- anything on the market will be more than good enough. If you're talking about editing 4K video in something approaching real time, then you will need a higher end machine.

7. Greel

Reputations:

To be honest i havent turned my desktop on in a year, so yeah its kind of a desktop replacement.

$5000 is just my limit, im fine spending less. The uhd is mainly for media and editing, so im sure i could make do with gtx 1080 or less.

Saw the new alienware offer the i9, which would be cool but im fine with a i7. Im studying CIS so the extra cores would be nice

I have a nice oled 1440p screen on the laptop, so really would only upgrade to uhd

8. Greel

Reputations:
    Not heavy duty but yes some processing.

Media i just meant streaming uhd.

9. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    @Greel

I recommend you this one, it has the screen you want, and has the best configuration, cooling, and keyboard amongst any laptop:

Custom Built MSI GT75 8RG TITAN 4K-071 17.3" w/ G-Sync nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

I recommend you order it with the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut and Fujipoly Thermal pads and bottom panel mod for the best cooling. The 6 core 8950HK processor that it has is a beast of a CPU but it needs those cooling mods in order to not overheat.

take a look at my review which is the same laptop but with the 120hz screen, should give you an idea on how it performs and my thoughts about it:

MSI GT75 TITAN 8RG-094 Review by Phoenix

You might also wanna consider this one:

EVOC High Performance Systems P870TM1 17.3" Custom Built VR Ready Gaming Laptop w/ 1x or 2x GTX 1080

They both use the AUO B173ZAN01.0 screen
    http://www.panelook.com/B173ZAN01.0_AUO_17.3_LCM_parameter_25358.html

400 nits brightness, 1000:1 contrast
    100% Adobe RGB...doesn't get any better than that

If you email donald@hidevolution.com you can get the NBR Discount

camberman3000 likes this.
  10. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ

Reputations:
    @Phoenix
    keep in mind that screen is problematic in terms of color temperature and requires calibration

the one on several AW17R4 that I calibrated for friends had their temp in the high 7k which means your entire screen effectively has a layer of translucent blue plastic in front of it