4K IPS touch screen with GTX 1060 or higher under $2500.

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Detacho, Sep 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Detacho

Detacho Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    4K IPS Touch screen.
    GTX 1060 or higher.
    $2500 budget.
    Windows

The only laptop that I can find in this category is the Razor Blade 15 which is like $3200 with the 1070 Max Q.

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  2. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Touch screen is the hard part of that. Almost no gaming manufacturers have touch screens.

There possibly might be some AWs still touch, but otherwise you won't have much luck.

Cooling on the Blade isn't too bad this year, but quality control is still. Get it from HIDEvolution if you're gonna get a Blade. Get the cooling options and whatever warranty you can afford (not global if you're in the U.S.).

In general most gaming laptops have 120Hz or 144Hz displays over high res or touch right now.

3. Detacho

Reputations:
    With the warranty and upgrades, easily gets close to like 4K! I guess that's the price I would have to pay to get a touch screen gaming laptop.
    Thank for helping out Galm. When you say quality control is bad, like what are we talking about? using inferior components inside? I mean if the cooling is better, what part of the laptop has bad quality? I read the chassis is pretty tough with no flex or was that like a paid ad disguised as reviews? [/QUOTE]

Yeah, everyone is a competitive gamer now.

4. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    There are so many problems... I don't even know. They have keyboard issues, BSODs, temp issues sometimes, backlight bleed, port issues, fan issues etc... Not everything is a huge deal, there's just a lot of potential things that happen to people with Razer units. The heatsinks are indeed good, but that doesn't mean the board itself is.

5. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    As Galm suggested, get it from HIDevolution, they have superb quality control and rigorous testing so you are sure to receive a laptop that works 100% out of the box. Additionally, their thermal cooling upgrades are some of the best in addition to the perfect thermal paste application jobs that they perform, I know because of the pics they sent me back when I bought my first laptop from them. Example:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I suggest you this laptop:

Razer Blade 15 (Mid 2018) – 15.6" 4K IPS Touch - i7-8750H - GTX 1070 Max-Q - 512GB SSD

If you email donald@hidevolution.com before you order, you can get the NBR Forum discount

6. Detacho

Reputations:
    Geeeeez. That is a lot of issues. If I had to spend 4K and I got port issues and keyboard issues, I would be livid. Thanks for your knowledge again.

Okay. I guess I'm going to have to sacrifice seeing that the laptop with my needs doesn't exist. If I let go of the touchscreen part, what laptops does that open up? I would want a really quality 4K screen. Something without a million known issues. I still want 4K IPS

@Phoenix, I'm probably going to end up getting it from HID but not the Razer Blade as @Galm said, heatsinks might be good but that doesn't mean the board isn't bad and I believe you can't fix a buggy/faulty board with repasting.

7. Spartan

Reputations:
    If a 1050 Ti would work there's the new thinkpad x1 extreme released next week if you can wait. Note the x1e 4k panel supports HDR so that's a big plus! also supports up to 64GB RAM which is a big plus (64GB via 2x 32GB) and it will have the 8750h and 8850h CPUs to choose from

[​IMG]

If you don't wanna wait, then let me know and I can suggest something else for you.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  8. Detacho

Reputations:
    @Phoenix, Thank you for trying to help! That is indeed a beautiful looking machine and performance wise 1050TI may be not that far off from the 1060 but then it's a MAX-Q design? so maybe not a true 1050TI. I was definitely hoping for 1060 or greater performance wise and I would rather not wait. You are certainly on the right track. I love the size of that thinkpad. Imagine something like that perhaps a Max-Q 1070! What a beast it would be :D

9. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Maybe an Alienware 13 with the 2560x1440 OLED touch panel? The price is certainly cheaper than the Razer Blade 15. Probably best to order it repasted via HIDEvolution, though, as others suggest. One nice thing about the OLED panel is its got great response times, far better than the other 4k options (40-50ms GtG). You can also do the AGA with a GTX 2070 or whatever when they are released if the GTX 1060 gets too slow in the future.

Also, the Lenovo Thinkpad P52 starts at $2000 when purchased via Corporate Perks with the 8850H, 4k touch, and Quadro P3200.

Donald@HIDevolution and Spartan like this.
  10. Spartan

Reputations:
    Drop the touch screen man, you're seriously limiting your options.

Here you go:

Gigabyte Aero 15X v8-BK4K4P - 15.6" UHD w/ GTX 1070 Max-Q

or

Custom Built Alienware 15 R4 w/ GTX 1060 or 1070 and i7-8750H

This is the only laptop I can think of within your budget. The others like from Razer are above 3K with a 4K IPS Screen

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.