4k 15,6", portable laptop, 1000 Euro

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Johannes33, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Johannes33

Johannes33 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget?
    1000 Euro or more if necessary

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    EU probably Germany or Sweden.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Lenovo

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Word processing, mindmapping, Watch movies

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? I will carry it around all the time

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    No

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    5-8 hours would be nice.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    It would not be very important to see it.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Win and perhaps linux

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)

high resolution like 4k. I do a lot of mindmaps so I would like to be able to zoom out a lot and the mini text should still be readable. Like on a smartphone. I’m not sure this is good since I do not know if the apps I’m using work well on 4k.
    I’m looking at a 40” 4k right now and all the apps work well but I do not know how a 15.6” 4k will work. Also perhaps I could use a lower resolution since the screen is smaller but let's try to find an at least 3 or 4k
    Aspect ratio: I like to have two documents side by side on the screen so aspect ratio should be good for that.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    it is not a deal breaker. But I would like to be able to work with it out doors so matte is preferred.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? No

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    I like a M.2 512 ssd
    I do not need hard drive bays. The computers that have that tends to be bulky. The laptop will be my secondary computer I have a stationary with 7 Tb space.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Now or soon

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    5-10 years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    long

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    Acceptable to ship.

Other things I would like The most important is the screen followed by not a lot of fan sound, keyboard and portability/build quality.
    • Back-lit keyboard
    • Good keyboard for typing possibly with numeric keypad.
    • trackpad with physical buttons (i.e. lenovo has on some thinkpads.)
    • acceptable or good sound from headphone jack
    • the build quality should be so good that it can travel in a backpack to and from university all days for 5 years.
    • It should be light for portability
    • Since I plan to use the computer for some time I think it would be good to have an i5 or AMD equivalent
    • possible to expand RAM to 16 GB
    • Very good cooling or/and cool running CPU when typing and doing mind maps: No fan noise unless doing some crazy rendering or other high performance task.
    • Quite light computer since I will be carrying it around a lot.
    I’m quite experienced with computers.