4K 15" 2 in 1 without Samsung LCD

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Khenglish, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm trying to find higher end 4K 15" 2 in 1 laptops that doesn't use the Samsung OLED 4K display.

Basically I end up hoping around where I work every few days, and I want something I can comfortably sit at and work on for hours. I find working for hours on anything less than a 15" to be unpleasant.

I also sometimes need to on short notice draw diagrams and write out equations. This also means I would like tablet functionality.

I'd rather not have both a laptop and a tablet, so a 15" 2 in 1 fits what I am looking for in 1 system.

The issue I have is I have 20/10 vision. This means that whatever hack a manufacturer did to pack a 4K resolution into a 15" screen is something I see, and my eyesight is sharp so I don't want anything less than 4K.

Case in point is the Samsung ATNA56WR15-0 (identified as SDC4143 by the driver) found in the HP Spectre x360, the ASUS Q538, and likely more. This display has a pixel gap around every 50 pixels in a diagonal grid across the whole screen. If I lean back a foot I see a great screen. If I sit normally I see several thousand black dots in a grid.

On top of that I would like something with a bit of performance. A decent GPU, like the 1650 TI would be good. Also 16GB of RAM. I would prefer to avoid the older 10th Gen CPUs. The new 11th gens are Intel's first real new CPU since 2014. Unfortunately hardly anyone seems to carry Ryzen with a dGPU.

Lenovo has decent specced laptops, which infuriatingly are $400 more than the ASUS I tried, and for $400 more than ASUS I get a plastic frame, slower RAM, an older 10th gen CPU, and a smaller battery, and I still don't know if it has a better screen. I am not seeing anything without major loss in power from other manufacturers. Unfortunately with how everything is glued together now I don't see how I could just replace the screen in an ASUS. It's looking like I'm going to have to drop hardware specs a lot to avoid the Samsung OLED display, which I would rather not do but I am not seeing many options.

2. Wgb_ROCg7979793

Wgb_ROCg7979793 Newbie

Reputations:
    As for the truth mostly all laptops if not all not Exaggerating have a crap of a display tn or ips there all the same Specially ips the native contrast ratios up to 1700 is still not enough and the way ips puts color on screen is quite Iffy almost like color lakes gray level and depth of black and white colors not Necessary look washed but right where the colors start to look Complex let’s say there is deep Rich red the shine and the intensity illuminasity won’t be there on ips because of the black level innerworkings is so called gamma bit rate is lower on ips the way the black level is and the grayscale’s pencil box is native contrast ratio is low it will look like distorted gray mixed with the so called Accurate color if you’d like look up Super Rich Red Ruby Loose Gemstone in Round Shape, Great Looking Red Fire in 6.8 mm, 1.52 carats
    Ofcorse not to this Extent a mva va type panel is or qled oled is but without the Realism like a Mirror reflection but not as real life is how deep and Intense the color is and the shades are different from one side to another on ips all the contrast will just look dampened missing details overexposed levels of black and gray to white just color with loss of Identity what do you think

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  3. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I think you need to start properly punctuating your posts because they are extremely hard to read.

@Khenglish the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Black Edition checks all your boxes save for the dGPU.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  4. JustSomeGuy805

JustSomeGuy805 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Khenglish.

I'm basically having the exact same experience you had when trying to find a good 4k laptop. Did you ever come up with type type of resolution?

5. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nope. The issue may be the digitizer. Strange that HP laptops have the same issue, and that only 4K touch screens have a visible digitizer if that's the case. 1080p 15.6" looks fine. High res on an 14" or 13.3" looks fine.

6. JustSomeGuy805

JustSomeGuy805 Newbie

Reputations:
    So frustrating.... Do you know if the Lenovo C940 has the same issue?

7. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No I don't. I highly recommend taking a look at one in a store if you can. Best Buy carries many Lenovos.

8. rockelino

rockelino Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Don't know what manufacturer Alienware uses, but their 15" laptops (and 17") have a 4K OLED option, which is nice!