4GHz+ Overclock i7 4xxxxmq/h to i7 extreme conversion Intel Haswell CPU Microcode bug hack

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by tpro, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Helden57

Helden57 Newbie

Reputations:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/uefi_bios_updater,1.html

download UBU tool, extract on a folder, download your original bios from your constructor website, extract your bios in the UBU tool folder, run UBU.bat, press 7 (update microcode), press 1 , 1 again, after it's done just press 0 (exit) and 1 (mod_XX_BIOS_XX.XXX), rename this bios in a simple name like b.XXX (XXX is the file extension of your bios), download rufus here : https://rufus.akeo.ie/downloads/ (last version), run it, plug an usb key, format it (file system EXFAT/FAT16/FAT32, operating system MSDOS), download AFUDOS here https://ami.com/en/download-license...IOS_and_Aptio_AMI_Firmware_Update_Utility.zip, extract all file on your usb key WITH YOUR BIOS MODDED FILE !

Reboot your laptop on your usb key, and type AFUDOS b.XXX /GAN

replace b.XXX by your moded bios file name

/!\ Be carefull, the size of your new modded bios must match with the old ! the program check it for you.

Cross finger ... and after 3 auto reboot, you're done ! Your microcode is downgraded !

Note : You can use AMIBCP4.53 (google it) to unlock some feature of your bios like cpu configuration and much more !

Enjoy your unlocked laptop ;)

2. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is this same microcode bug exploit usable on a Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ too? I thought it was very closely related to the 6700HQ.

3. FTW_260

FTW_260 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Will this guide work with Alienware 18?

4. darnok44

darnok44 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi
    It was mentioned in firs post that this mod was tested on desktop i5 as well. Does anyone know on what kind of desktop chipset this mod work. Is it only on Z87/Z97 or on non-Z to?

debianik and FTW_260 like this.
  5. invertedsilence

invertedsilence Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm with MiSJAH on this one. It'd be super cool if you could make your guide a bit more detailed. I know how to overclock, but I'm not at all familiar with the hex editing.
    It's super interesting and I'm curious to see the process behind it.
    It would also make me feel a lot safer about trying it.
    The 4720hq is realy getting on my nerves so it'd be cool to get a bit more performance out of it right after my fresh repaste :)

tiliarou likes this.
  6. surfinkin

surfinkin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hello. thank you very much for sharing your work. i am stuck with a dell precision m6800 with an i7 4600m. it is power and current limit throttling as shown in xtu in p95 load. how to read bios type. will you kindly shed some light on this?

thanks again!

7. Helden57

Helden57 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey dude, if you are not affraid by 1.3V + Vcore, you can try to disable VR Fault, if you have a big power brick you can go highter.

I've reached stable 4.6Ghz (1.42V) , put some fan with tape on the air extraction of your laptop, use liquid metal + copper heatskin are you're done !

I can get near of an i7-7700K for free, i5 8XXX if i disable multithreading -> Up to 4.7Ghz. (on 4 cores)

I've not pushed away , i've hit my powerbrick limit (if your laptop submit shutdown, not engought watt)

If you are too unstable try static voltage !

About me : (HT enabled, ratio on all core, no turbo boost)
    41 : +91Mv
    42 : 125Mv
    43 : 183Mv
    44 : 250mv unstable -> 1.28v static -> stable
    45 : 1.35v static
    46 : 1.43v static

I'll not try to go highter cause electron migration, i can keep my cpu cool with lot of fan added (i've maked hole, plug fan, and the temps drastically down)

About 450-470 Mono thread / 2400-2500 Multi thread on CPU-Z

this 4720Hq is not bad, what your scores ?