4GHz+ Overclock i7 4xxxxmq/h to i7 extreme conversion Intel Haswell CPU Microcode bug hack

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by tpro, Apr 3, 2016.

1. tpro

tpro Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That would be interesting altho there is no room for thermals :p (wait did u just say that u live in the north pole? XD)
    I think it would be better to desolder the memory containing the bios and play with (also i believe there are two electronic controllers on it, donno much about surface), as i think the bios is encrypted and needs to match hardware key for onboard flash, not to mention the possibility of reflashing bios after brick :p

I'm currently working on microcode enforcer mod using refind uefi bootloader, needs fast boot bios support, patch applies after power cycle tho for some reason it is locking out on most systems, ill post it here when its almost functional.

tiliarou likes this.
  2. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫiͤcͫeͤ

Reputations:

I don't think I can disassemble it lol

3. tpro

tpro Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    :)

That would be challenging. :)

:)

4. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫiͤcͫeͤ

Reputations:
    can your magic overcome the challenge lol?

5. villahed94

villahed94 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @MiSJAH You can use microcode 01 or 02. The way to patch them without breaking things is to check the length of the current, newer microcode and insert the older one with padding.
    I.E If Microcode 1A has a length of 5200h, 02 has a length of 3200h I think. Then you add 2000h padding at the end.
    Tha's how I made the older microcodes work on my Y50.

6. Helden57

Helden57 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, i've tested your method and i was really unsecure about the hightlight the good part of the microcode (Only the microcode 1 working for me , all other doesn't let me up more than ratio 38), so i've followed my search and i've find UBU tool in following this https://www.win-raid.com/t154f16-Tool-Guide-News-quot-UEFI-BIOS-Updater-quot-UBU.html

I've download my lastest bios, download all bios utility, run UBU.bat with my bios in his folder, change the microcode, and use AMIBCP to enable hidden options like cpu configuration, i've removed your dll (2 times), flashed my bios with the rufus-2.2p tool and after 3 reboot, that's done ! I can now change my ratio in ThrottleStop and my Graphic ratio in intel, you can see the result here :

https://valid.x86.fr/flj8ql
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your help ! i've reached stable 4.1Ghz on my 4720HQ, no need to upgrade now :D (But i really don't know how to pass the 55W package TDP limit :( ... i can lower more temp to get hight frequence but i'm always limited by this ****ing tdp, i've a 140W power brick, i really don't understand.

7. villahed94

villahed94 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    In the second photo, you can see an option that's labeled "Powercut-ucode 0x01". Check that box and you can get rid of those pesky TDP limits.

8. Helden57

Helden57 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thx but this doesn't allow me to pass 55W, i've changed PP0 & PP1 to 110 but no change, i'm stuck between 54.4W ~ 54.8W, i've disabled my dedicated graphic card to save some watts, same for bluetooth stuff, so i've reached CPU 4.2ghz stable + 1.4ghz GPU overclock, it works like a charm, i'm side by side with a 4970HK or 6700K ! (i'm using the stock aircooling of my laptop, i'm wondering how improve it or change it for plat watercooling system. (i've 3cm free between the die and the laptop bottom.) i'm really impressed by the change !

9. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    WOW! How come this topic hasn't been stickied yet?

10. Helden57

Helden57 Newbie

Reputations:
    So, i cannot go up than 4.2, 4.1 4.1 4.1 and + 77mv offset voltage core. my cpu suck 58,3W maximum so, if i understand, the rest of my laptop would suck 81,7W ?

my DVD drive, dedicated graphic card, bluetoooth are disabled, i can unplug then to save some W but not sure it it's work, well my overclock is engought now, no need more but i think it's possible :) share your work dude this tips able you to make a gamer pc for low $ just with a good overclocking.

EDIT :
    I've found a way to enable the powerCut, just click on the checkbox to enable it, quit FIVR and re-open it, set your processor offset voltage to a low value to make a crash, let your laptop restart, reopen throttlestop and you're done ! You can now overpass your tdp limit, i'm currently running @4.2Ghz, just amazing !

Note : I've added a fan on my MSI GP70 2PE, the temp drop a lot :D it's noisy but i prefer perfs ;)

https://valid.x86.fr/x4jaiu

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    tiliarou likes this.
  11. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Could someone share v.0 and v.1 microcodes for bios mod?