4850 in a m5750!

Discussion in 'Alienware Area-51/Aurora and Legacy Systems' started by protivakid, Apr 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. protivakid

protivakid Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No clue. The green pcb alienware one did NOT work in my m5750. I found this on ebay and it looks like it could even be a reference card but it works with the built in display!

2. makatec

makatec Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks. Just wondering if you know the seller? I want to contact him if he dont have one more for me.

3. Ferrari

Ferrari Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Awesome work on the your m5750.

I ran my m5790 into the ground and it still works, the only drawback is the m5750/90 design does a very poor job with cooling. I had to replace 2 X1800 GPUs because of it.

4. Ari3sgr3gg0

Ari3sgr3gg0 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Great job with this project, does your fan kick into full speed to help with cooling that card? Have you modded the heatsink to help manage temps better? How's it doing currently and did you have to do any bios mods to get it working properly?

5. imglidinhere

imglidinhere Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Good to see someone did the "KEEP IT ALIVE!" routine with a legacy machine. ;D

Gets tiring when all you see are the M17x R2 owners saying "I've got to make this 7970M crossfire work!" :p

6. granyte

granyte ATI+AMD -> DAAMIT

Reputations:
    80 c is a standar temperature for a 4850 mines often ran around 90c for the last two years and only now one is showing defect

7. protivakid

Reputations:
    Both fans are always at 100% because they are powered by the 5v USB. The only mod to the heatsink was some cutting so the new card would fit. Currently the laptop is fine running on a stock BIOS.

8. protivakid

Reputations:
    Had some $$ burning a hole in my pocket so I picked up a T7600G on ebay :D. Assuming the CPU works as the seller described I can't wait to get this thing in my m5750 and see if I can bump my scores up some. If all goes well this should make for the fastest M5750 out there.

9. katalin_2003

katalin_2003 NBR Spectre Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Awesome CPU, had one in my older m5790.

10. protivakid

Reputations:
    T7600G didn't work out. Get this, seller shipped it in a plain envelope with a tiny amount of bubble wrap :/. Needless to say the pins were all bent.

I did pick up a new UJ-120 Blu Ray drive for the laptop though! Swapped the front face plates and it looks just as the old one did! Now for some movies on my 1080x1920 screen!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.