4 core laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by CodiceRosso, Sep 14, 2021.

1. CodiceRosso

CodiceRosso Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,
    I would like to buy a new laptop at least 4 cores.
    I need a lot of cpu to run at least one Windows virtual machine with 2 cores decently.

Two laptops are cheap and have a good processor (i5-1135G7): one is Asus 15.6 VivoBook model K513EA-BQ753T with Intel Core i5 (11 gen) 1135G7, 4 GB DDR4 SDRAM, 256 GB SSD and 15.6 FULL HD (1920 x 1080), the latter is is an HP 250 G8 model 2W8Y5EA with
    Intel Core i5 (11 gen) 1135G7, 8 GB DDR4 SDRAM 2666 MHz, 256 GB M.2 SSD and 15.6 Full HD (1920 x 1080) Display.

In your opinion is HP better or Asus one?

With the HP laptop I would have 8 GB of RAM instead of 4, but I would save around 50 euros.
    Is the HP much better (is it worth getting it than the asus)?

Regards,
    C.

2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    To run virtual machines well, you should have at least 6 physical cores and 16 GB of RAM.

3. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You may want to consider the FAQ stuck at the top of this forum and post back. That would help us flesh out what you need. Good luck and welcome to NBR.

4. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For VM's you want the most cores / RAM you can afford. Each one needs to allocate from those components. Having 4 cores / 8GB RAM isn't going to get much done very quickly. The HOST reserves a certain amount of resources that can't be used for the VM.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, depending on the implementation method of running things you could getaway with a 4-core but, still it's going to be agonizingly slow. However, it's possible.

From these images I would opt for Type-1 or Containers to conserve resources needed to run multiple images.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mr. Fox and Starlight5 like this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    If you are worried about cost and on a more restrictive budget, you would be better off purchasing a nice used laptop with an 8-core 9th or 10th gen CPU and at least 16GB of RAM, maybe discrete graphics if you can squeeze that into the budget. Your money will take you a lot further buying a clean and well cared for second-hand laptop if you can confirm you are buying from is an honest person that is not unloading their junk on an unsuspecting victim. There are more honest people than there are dishonest, but all we talk about is the bad people. Buying locally where you can see, feel and touch is a good option when you don't know the people you are communicating with on the internet. Also, be aware that any laptop that has enough CPU cores to do what you are looking to do is going to run very hot because building thin and light laptops with incompetent thermal solutions is very popular. If you are using it in a hot work environment, that issue is going to be magnified.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021 at 9:06 PM
    Papusan likes this.
  6. AlleyKat

AlleyKat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I agree abt looking for more cores. The high-clocked 4C8T chips are good for general use, light content creation and some gaming, but more lower-clocked cores would be better for VMs.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. CodiceRosso

CodiceRosso Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you all.
    I need to run a Windows 10 virtual machine along with Windows 10 (or 11). Probably I will upgrade RAM at least to 8 GB (but I think 16 GB).
    I will use VMware workstation as hypervisor.
    I need a Windows virtual machine due to vpn clients that are incompatible among them. Then I will use the virtual machine to remote desktop/ssh client to customers.
    I think 4 or 6 cores are enough.
    Are Ryzen 5 5550U or 5600U better? (They cost much w.r.t. a i5-1135G7).

1) What is your budget?

400-500-600 euros

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

c. Thin and Light; 14"
    d. Mainstream; 15"
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?

Italy

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    b. Dislike:
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    New

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Remote desktop / ssh /office

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)

no.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

1-2 h

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Online or offline.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Windows 10 (upgradable to 11)

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)

At least Full HD

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)

I don't know.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

No.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

more it's better (at least 2 years)

16) When are you buying this laptop?

few days

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?

4-5 years at least.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?

I have other pc I can use.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?

I have other pc I can use.

8. AlleyKat

AlleyKat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'd go with 5600U over 5550U if the price is about the same; not that 5550U is bad but 5600U is newer architecture and slightly faster clocks. Both would be decent for a couple lightly-loaded VMs I think; as long as the VM users won't be doing anything too heavy, having enough cores and threads is the most important part for your use.

edit to add- 16GB or even 24/32GB memory would be a good idea as well; guest OS overhead adds up.

edit again- it would also be worth checking the CPU TDP specs on the machines you consider; the 5600U can either be specced for 15W or 25W and obviously the 25W systems will have higher sustained performance

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021 at 6:14 AM
    saturnotaku and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I use Linux for my primary and VPN software works fine. The nuance though with *nix is the availability of VPN clients supporting wireguard which is more compact / faster than OVPN. I can get virtual line speed from WG applications while the OVPN overhead knocks speeds down to about 50% of the line speed.

If you're going HV then doing *nix for a VPN/ FW setup would take up less space / resources to allow for functional VM's for other stuff.

Are you going to use this as a "server" for clients to attach to since you're mentioning
    ?

10. CodiceRosso

CodiceRosso Newbie

Reputations:
    I mean I should run a virtual machine (not at the same time) with Windows 10 and a vpn client installed (there are several: cisco, fortinet, sophos, openvpn, ...). I have many VMs with different vpn client but I only use one at the same time. I'm a system administrator.