3k laptop for work? Stuck with choice :(

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by talionar, Jun 10, 2018.

1. talionar

talionar Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there! Really stuck with the choice [​IMG] Will be glad to hear your advice!

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    Max that I want to spend is 3k$ but it will be great to stay near 2300$.

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    Any place in EU/USA or with international shipping.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    No
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    I need multicore CPU for work, min 16gb of ram that I can upgrade to 32, great display (4k is better but I can afford to go fullHD on 15'') and GPU that can run up to 2 external 4k displays.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Not a lot but when I travel I really need it to fit in common 15'' bag and I want to go max 3kg for 17'' and 2.5 for 15''.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Not a lot. Maybe some Paladins, Firewatch like games e.t.c. Not AAA shooters in 4k)

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Doesn't matter a lot, but 2hrs is desirable so I can survive outage)

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    It's ok without

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Anyway there is no chromebooks with my specs so I can just install Win on any device)

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)
    Minimum FHD on 15'' or 3k+ on 17''

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    Doesn't matter a lot - I have good workplace

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Style doesn't matter but it must feel sturdy

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    Now) I can wait few months if some great will be released

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    3yrs is good enough, more is better and I do not play games a lot so I think I can go with it for 5yrs

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    SSD must have, 1TB in total is ok

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    No

So, it was a good table but my need in specific a bit. In short:

1) Lightweight enough so it can fit common 15'' laptop bag compartment (in general I prefer to go max 3kg for 17'' or 2.5 for 15'' and 2.8 max thickness)

2) It has good one display. I do not care about response time a lot, so it will be great to have 3k and good colors (I have to work a lot with colored text)), no awful backlight bleeding or other problems. I own now GT60 with 3k and reducing to fullHD is visible enough for me in text clarity, but I can afford fullHD on 15''.

3) More cores are better and mainly I need great CPU rather than GPU) So I want to stick with 8th gen.

4) From GPU I only need it to support up to 2 external 4k displays. In gaming I fully satisfied with my current GTX 780M

5) RAM minimum 16gb upgradable to 32gb (I have 12Gb right now and in avg 700Mb free if I control what I run. Because if not all just crashes [​IMG] )

6) Numpad will be huuuuge bonus for me

7) 2.5 slot is plus too

8) Battery life is not matters a lot (I have 2hrs max right now and it's ok for me)

9) Good keyboard with some tangible travel (Dell XPS have just too small travel and feels uncomfortable. But, maybe it's just matter of habit?)

And I ended up with this ones but each has it's own BUT:

Asus GM501 (but not sure about display quality - I mean they rushed for 144hz and response time so colors can be bad and not sure about artifacts)

Asus GU501 (GM501 with 1060 and worse display - not sure if it's really worse in terms of artifacts and colors? If they similar and have no other diffs except the raised bottom part in GM501 I will really go with this one)

Asus GL703 (not sure about build quality, 17'' with fullHD only is too low)

Dell XPS (8750H/3k version) (uncomfortable keyboard / no numpad but 3k display and good enough GPU for me)

Also considered

MSI GS65 (but heard a lot about OKish build quality)

new Razer 15 (QC in Razer seems not so good so it's risky too and it's more expensive rather than alternatives)

HP x360 (all is great except 8705g cpu)

Aero 15/15x (seems like the build quality is Okish too and it has this webcam stuff and I use webcam 5 or 6 times per week so I can pay more for normal webcam placement like in GM501)

Aorus X5/X7 v8 (seems like overpriced? but if someone will point to big positive diff between GM501 that I missed it will be great)

I'm ok with fact that I need to replace thermalpads and to repaste to LM to make this stuff work without BSODs)

Maybe I missed some great alternatives? Or what do you own/recommend from this based on my needs?

Eager to hear your advice here!)

2. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    TBH I consider all of those trash (Max-Q + crappy cooling) except for the MSI's. I would personally go for Clevo desktop replacement, but those seem to be a tad expensive for your price range. Maybe the new MSI's?

3. talionar

talionar Newbie

Reputations:
    Hmm... Asus and Aorus are with full GTX. MSI, as I know, go with Max-Q and also non-IPS displays (seems like panels are somewhat near IPS but I can't compare them live). New MSI's - what models did you mean? Also, did you seen MSI GT60 (780M one) - how it's build quality for you?)

4. Grant B Gibson

Reputations:
    The Aorus heavily throttles to the point below a Max-Q, I don't have much experience with the other models, but I would recommened one of the newer MSI's with a 8750h and a 1060 ( I don't know the model name

5. talionar

talionar Newbie

Reputations:
    Hmm. Do you think that liquid metal will not help with the throttle? Because they all hot as hell (it's just impossible to have such TDP in such thin laptop without problems) and anyway I think I will do LM and thermalpads replace even on XPS 15. So with LM and undervolting I think I can get them run cold enough to not throttle a lot.

But thanks anyway) BTW new slim MSI is GS65 and it has some caveats too and I considered it also

6. Grant B Gibson

Reputations:
    Sounds food to mee

7. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    http://www.hidevolution.com/msi-gt63-8rf-titan-047.html

Absolutely perfect. 94% NTFC, 120hz, great keyboard, good speakers, great thermals, perfect performance. It does everything you would ever want a notebook to do.15 inch as well and has a weight of 2.94KG.

8. talionar

talionar Newbie

Reputations:
    40 mm thickness and 3kg for 15'' dude : D This is no go for me)) Max that will be useful is 30mm (and this is really a lot already). Now I'm watching on workstations but seems like they overpriced because of other stuff that I do not need

9. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The issue here is that you want a 15inch notebook with CPU power, this is a problem because the thin and lights cannot sustain high CPU tasks over time, it simply cannot be done. The thin and light gaming notebooks are build to be able to play games on them which do not remotely stress the CPU as much as other tasks such as rendering.

Kent T likes this.
  10. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Get the gigabyte aero 15 or the HP ZBook Studio 15". Both come with 4K panel options that cover 100% of Adobe RGB.

talionar likes this.