3E Which OS do you use that works . Linux Windows ?

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Shawn, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
  2. safn1949

safn1949 I'm sure I'm on the wrong planet

Reputations:
    Just a heads up, there is a big batch of these listed again on ebay, guy has 100% feedback.

3. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    The latest re: 3E.

I did in fact have Linux booting and running the 3E from the hdd.. Then I quit and re-installed 8.1.

Why? (that's hard (long-winded)to explain) I'll put it this way:
    Every step ahead just brings you to another step.
    1. Boot from Linux and usually you lose the touchscreen, keyboard and touchpad the second you leave the grub menu. antiX17 was the first distro to yield a working keyboard and pad....then MX16.1 and MX17. But not always.

2. Say you have a working keyboard. So..where's the wireless? Turns out the soldered on Broadcomm wireless needs special handling. O.K. we fix that for the live session.

3. So we install to hdd. Oops efi! It turns out we are on a 32/64 bit system. Efi requires bootia32.exe to start a 32 bit efi. The distros I used put something like boot64.exe in the system. Shoehorn (pry your way) past that and it may boot but the touchscreen, keyboard, touchpad and wireless don't work.........o.k. maybe the wireless works the second time. Naaaaaarrrgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Now you are up and running but the stylus doesn't work good near the edges. No big deal right? But say the keyboard is dead this time around....how do we shut down? (answer: plug in a USB keyboard is how and hit [Alt]F4.) or hold the orange button down for 14 seconds and start over.)

5. O.K. say you got all the above working. Where's the cap-lock indicator? How about auto rotate? Ummm Bluetooth is on the wireless card....and probably some other things I didn't think of yet.

6. What if the reader of this is bull-headed and wants to run Linux from the hdd anyway?....Here's how.

LEARN TO USE VIRTUAL BOX (I USED ORACLE)
    GET A CLEAN INSTALL OF 8.1 RUNNING
    INSTALL YOUR LINUX DISTRO TO THE VIRTUAL BOX WITH A DESKTOP LINK AND..
    ENJOY YOUR TABLET.

(The desktop will open with the functional 8.1 tool-bar visible. Auto-rotate works, wireless works and I seem to remember the caplock pop-up working) Neat! I turn off Windows auto update "just because".

7. Should I buy one? YES! Cheapest two piece tablet of this quality on the market. +- $65.00. USB 3.0. Feather-light and extremely tough...they were designed for education (kids).

Field notes: I use classic shell on mine, most of the start-up gui's are disabled. Machine boots to classic shell. [Shift][Super-key] goes to 8.1 menus. [Super-key] returns to classic shell. This has a small ssd hdd so I have a micro-SD (64Gb) in one of mine. (1 of 4)

toughasnails and Shawn like this.
  4. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Sounds like my attempts to deal with frustration at work.

UNCNDL1 likes this.
  5. UNCNDL1

UNCNDL1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Great write-up Lefty, thanks!
    I feel the same way and appreciate your comments.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

6. safn1949

Reputations:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/222898199258?ul_noapp=true

price drop to $45 + $14 shipping. The only reason he is at 98% is he took 14 days to ship and never issued a refund he said he would to me. Other then that, I'm on the 3E I bought from him right now.

UNCNDL1 likes this.
  7. moonbeam01

moonbeam01 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, new here and just wanted to say hi to everybody. I just got mine for 45 bucks with free shipping with the keyboard dock. Mine is the RGS version. Like everyone else, tried to boot a Linux distro on it, no go. So, I popped 8.1 and ran windows updates and got some drivers like video and wifi updates. Still trying to find drivers for the dock so that I can use the keyboard and mouse. I just can't seem to find the drivers for this tablet. I tried the edugear link but I can't download the drivers. Wondering if anyone has the drivers for this device. Thanks!

8. safn1949

Reputations:
  9. moonbeam01

moonbeam01 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks safn1949. For some reason I couldn't download the driver from the panasonic website but from the description, It was just something as simple as the Atom Z3700 series SOC driver. They still have it on the Intel site. My keyboard and mouse and touchscreen works now. Thanks again!

10. moonbeam01

moonbeam01 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi again guys. The Bay Trail Z3000 series drivers from the Intel site work except for the audio. The Intel SST does not output sound. I tried to play and it says that it failed to output sound. There are no yellow question marks or exclamation marks and the Realtek I2S drivers were installed along with it. I was wondering if anybody else has had trouble with this. I am running Windows 10 Pro on it right now. Thanks again. I might sell this since it's becoming more of a headache to me. The OSD driver says it's missing a couple of .dlls as well. Seems like nothing is going well for me on this device.