3820TG Owner's Lounge - Part Two

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Bronsky, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Just_a_Nick

Just_a_Nick Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Possible but complicated, you have to ad the pci express slot.

2. Dr. K6

Dr. K6 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    To be honest, I sat on the 3830TG/3820TG decision for awhile and the only advantage I could find was USB 3.0. The SB processor is nice, but by all accounts can't be overclocked, so any clock-for-clock advantage it has is lost due to its extreme clock disadvantage (e.g. my i5-480m overclocks to 3.4GHz). Same with the graphics - the GT 540M overclocked is only pulling 1246 in 3DMark11 - Result . My system gets 1453 at stable, gaming settings. Also, I'm not so sure what the draw of the "chiclet" keyboard is? It seems like it's the current keyboard with a piece of plastic below the keys, but mechanically it should feel the same. While some may appreciate the aesthetics, I think it just traps heat. In addition to the all the disadvantages you lsited, I agree, I'm very happy with my 3820TG and there's no way I'd take a 3830TG over it.

3. Late666

Late666 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I agree, and to be completely honest I don't ever see myself really using the USB 3.0 for anything other than highspeed transfers to an external HDD, which I can live without...

Even without all the overclocking, the 3820 is still capable of handling anything that comes its way gaming wise, and at a great price.

4. RWUK

RWUK Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is that 4.5 hours playing games or just internet & office programs? Is this also on the 2.6.35 kernel or have you upgraded to something later?

For me, the 3830 is out of the equation and while I'd like to wait and see what Llano has to offer, these 3820 models at $700 CAD are looking really tempting.

5. Wally33

Wally33 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  6. zsero

zsero Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've created a Custom Fan Profile mod for the 3820TG

I made 3 hand crafted profile for a start, but I'll write about how to make your own.

If you have some problem, please reply to the thread in the link, as thats the appropriate thread for tweaks!

3820TG Custom Fan Profiles mod

7. Wally33

Wally33 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The download link is not working for me, zsero.

8. duykhang

duykhang Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    No external hdd can take advantage of USB 3.0 only ssd will... It's only for marketing purpose.

9. Sxooter

Sxooter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    internet / office apps. Gaming (in windows) yields from 45 to 90 minutes 120 tops on battery. Note that a lot of older games play just fine on the IGP, like half life 2 etc.

10. 0utf0xZer0

0utf0xZer0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Been thinking of getting one of these to replace my four and a half year old Inspiron 1501.

I can get the Core i5, Radeon 6550m version of this notebook for $800 Canadian. I could also get a core i5, integrated graphics Lenovo T410 for about the same price.

In a lot of ways, the Acer seems like a better choice, being about a pound lighter and having dedicated graphics. However, I worry about a few issues, namely drivers and durability. Or special concern is screen durability: I've seen some $600 TimelineX models at a local Costco, and the screens had a lot of flex to them. Since the laptop would be going in the same backpack as my textbooks (albeit in a padded laptop compartment), I worry about cracking the screen. Aside from sharing a bag with textbooks, I'm pretty gentle with my gear... but my first laptop (a Seanix SL226) developed a crack in the LCD panel (but not housing) after only 14 months, which makes me very leery of screen flex.

Does anyone here have input on this issue? I should also note that I can wait a few months before purchasing as I won't be going back to classes until the fall.