3820TG Owner's Lounge - Part Two

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Bronsky, Mar 13, 2011.

1. GTI WR6

GTI WR6 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Guys,

Long time owner of a 3820TG here. Its still stock till now and the only upgrade has been the Windows 10 free upgrade from Microsoft. Now, I think its time for an SSD and RAM upgrade. I will be visiting Malaysia soon and I am planning to get those from there. I am attaching a price list form one of the shops in an IT mall in Kuala Lumpur. Appreciate if you can recommend which SSD or RAM to get. Please note, RM stands for Malaysian Ringgit.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

• RAM.JPG
      RAM.JPG
      File size:
      33.5 KB
      Views:
    • SSD.JPG
      SSD.JPG
      File size:
      78.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Damarious25

Damarious25 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Without looking at the attached files, any SSD and Ram upgrade is going to help big time. At this point I wouldn't go with anything under a 240GB SSD. Read the last few pages to learn more about compatible Ram. I had two 4G sticks of Corsair ram handy that worked fine but others are having issues finding 4G sticks that work. Maybe I got lucky with what I already had... Although, to be honest, I've had this laptop for so many years that maybe I specifically ordered the ram that's in it, for this laptop. I can't even remember anymore...

Tonight I noticed the CPU fan was a little high so I stripped the whole machine down and re-pasted the CPU and GPU. It was nice to take the whole thing apart. This laptop came out at a time before ultraportable was a thing, and it was also ahead of it's time with separate copper cooling and two fans in a machine of its size. Even now it's a beautiful machine I still use heavily.

I still remember when this thread was alive and kicking... Good times!

Bronsky likes this.
  3. Nukeleus

Nukeleus Newbie

Reputations:
    There are some specific RAM requirements detailed at
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/3820tg-owners-lounge-part-two.561840/page-344#post-10160563

Here's the one I (and several others in this thread) have used - mentioned just a few posts ago actually
    https://www.amazon.ca/Corsair-Chann...YW?ie=UTF8&ref_=pe_386430_30332290_TE_3p_dp_1

4. GTI WR6

GTI WR6 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just an update.

I installed a Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250GB and I am absolutely loving it now! Will upgrade the RAM replace keyboard when I visit Kuala Lumpur.

5. Yttrasil

Yttrasil Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just wanna say I'm still using this thing, still love everything about it except the stupid subpar screen. Still getting 5+ hours of portable use using decent brightness and wifi.Travelled the world using it in all kinds of places.

Upgraded to an ssd as soon as i got the thing and have a total 4gb of memory. Will use this thing until it dies I'm sure, even though I'm tempted by many other more sleekerish laptops. Performance difference is barely noticeable in any normal use.

6. Crogge

Crogge Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm also still using my Acer 3820TG and did over the years the following updates:

- Updated 4 to 8GB RAM (2nd slot was still free)
    - Replaced the 750GB HDD with a 240GB Crucial SSD (MX100)
    - Replaced the i5-460M CPU with a i5-560M (Had it laying around so I gave it a try, works perfectly fine and is especially for VMs noticeable faster)
    - Replaced the Atheros Wifi card with a Intel 7260 WLAN/BT 5 GHz card (Getting stable 866Mbit near my router, average transfer rate is 50-60 MB / sec, BT supports LE mode)
    -
    Installed the modded BIOS to unlock all settings (e. g. to use only the iGPU)
    - Cleaned the coolers recently and added new thermal paste

I still look for the "One click fan profile" which someone posted here years ago to adjust the fan control easily, unfortunately all links are down.

Oh and by the way, I run Windows 10 as primary OS (Ubuntu as secondary OS), Win10 works fine on the Acer 3820TG I just had to get a proper GPU driver.

I'm using http://leshcatlabs.net/2016/05/30/leshcats-catalyst-16-2-1-unifl-and-lts/ and its working perfectly fine with both GPUs enabled. Including brightness control and HDMI.

Aqdas likes this.
  7. Crogge

Crogge Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Whoops ... noticed today that the MIC isn't working, probably forgot or cut the related cable : > Anyone knows how/where the MIC is connected?

8. Ahmet R

Ahmet R Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Guys,

Still using this little monster and I think it's been 6 years since the purchase.

During my travels I happen to let it fall to the ground. After that, one of the mount holes around the MB for the CPU cooling combo (heat pipes, CPU fan and heatsink) got detached from the MB.
    I happen to be able to solder it using a liquid solder thing.

I used it after that happily for a long while. But now (since the last three months or so) the CPU fan started acting weirdly in a randomly fashion.

It makes a strange noise one in a while, almost unrelated with the activity I'm having. For example I now have about 20 tabs open in chrome. A very big table in excel, skype, notepad++. Oh and I use Windows 10. And everything is OK, without a noise -> CPU temp is around 70 Celsius according to real-temp.

But a few hours ago, having about the same software with same load the fan was making a very bad -- almost a crashing noise with a terrible vibration.

First of all, I'm amazed how much vibration this little fan can do.

My observation is the fan is going to die, or it's already dead. So I think a replacement fan would be a solution. (The other possibility is the fan control unit on the MB is broken, which requires IC change I guess, which is worse and I can easily fail to replace it without losing the little smds around it while pushing hot air on it).

So I wonder if anyone else in this great thread experienced similar thing, and I think I can post sound of this fan when it breaks loose again.

Now my question is, is the CPU fan (the fan alone) can be replaced? I tried to dismantle the CPU fan from the heat-sink before but I find that it's somehow soldered with the heat-sink (Copper wires and heat-sink) so I didn't force too much. But I'm currently looking for a replacement fan as a new laptop is on the way (ASUS UX310UQ) and thus I might be able to stomach more risks for this laptop.

I'll appreciate information about dismantling and replacing the CPU FAN alone.

9. Primorsky

Primorsky Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all!
    I have old little Acer AS3810TG-733g25i (Timeline series) notebook, based on the Penryn-3M CPU (ultra-low voltage Core 2 Duo SU7300, socket BGA956, 1300 Mhz, 800 MT/s). It works well since the year 2010. But now I am feel that it's ultra-low voltage CPU doesn have a sufficient speed for my typical tasks, such as internet browsing with many tabs.
    Is it possible to upgrade (change) the SU7300 CPU (TDP = 10W, 1.3 Ghz) to another cpu with a better performance? For an example, switch to the low-voltage Core 2 Duo SL9600 (socket BGA956, TDP=17W)? Or even to the full-performance Core 2 Duo SP9300 (Penryn, TDP=25W, 6 mb l2 cache, 2.27Ghz, 1066 MT/s) ?
    I know, this is BGA socket, so i'll pay for the high quality reballing of the CPU/BGA956. I really don't care about reduced battery run-time. And i hope I'll make upgrade of the cooling system (i will use a cooling pad for notebook, better thermal paste, new thermal pads)
    I just want to make sure that the other processors would work when installed correctly in the notebook. Do i need a modified AS3810TG's BIOS to get support for other BGA956 proccessors? If its even possible, of course.

10. RobsTV

RobsTV Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Since buying the 3820TG in 2010, it has been a great laptop. Using it to type this.
    Finally have decided to upgrade and wanted to mention how the past 8 years has worked out, and why the next laptop will be another Acer.

First, until now, this has only had the CPU fan fail. Original lasted 6 years. Replaced with a generic fan, which lasted about 9 months and was hotter than original. Replace a 2nd time with a new OEM pull, and that cooled things right down, the way they should be. Still working fine.

Second, still using original battery. This laptop is plugged in 24/7 for the entire time I've owned it, only unplugging to take to work or on trips. Even now, I still get around 4 hours when using the original battery, and that's with always running dedicated video card! Original power brick as well. Everything original except HDD and now CPU fan.

An SSD drive makes this old unit still seem to keep up with modern laptops, except in gaming of course. Windows 10 had fan control issues, so while I've tried win10 on here about 3 times, always went back to Win7.

A couple weeks ago the laptop stopped recognizing the video card when cold booting. It had been taking a few boots to get it going over the past few months, it would then seem to "catch" and boot up with Ati video. But now it only sees the intel video. Bios flashing etc., drivers, etc, and discrete video no longer shows up. Time to move on anyway. Note that it still is working great, but only using intel hd video.

Just ordered Acer Nitro 5 from amazon
    Intel Core i5-7300HQ, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 15.6" IPS, 8GB DDR4, 256GB nvme.
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NH.Q2QAA.016

Hopefully I'll get close to as good of service as the TimelineX gave me.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    inm8#2 likes this.