3820TG Owner's Lounge - Part Two

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Bronsky, Mar 13, 2011.

1. longo213

longo213 Newbie

Reputations:
    Try to find Kingston KVR1066D3S7/4G somewhere, I also tried many different modules but found those working in pair like a charm.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/3820tg-owners-lounge-part-two.561840/page-336#post-9548004

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  2. longo213

longo213 Newbie

Reputations:
    You can find a lot of them on Aliexpress, but they ain't cheap.
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item//32544692978.html

3. Roamer55

Roamer55 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Not sure if anyone is keeping up with this thread but one thing I have discovered is that the switchable graphics cause problems on boot up in windows 10. You can eliminate this if you set the bios to discrete graphics. It is also pretty easy to get around the issue by either booting on the battery or pulling the power when the screen starts to flash. What is interesting is that once you boot into windows 10 if you have fastboot enabled then so long as you shutdown and don't do a restart then the next time you turn on the PC it boots fine. I am guessing that the fast boot option saves the working state and when it loads that from the hard disk it loads the "working" configuration. On a restart that "working" configuration is lost and if you are plugged in the computer goes into a loop trying to switch between the two graphics cards. As noted pulling the power for a second works or booting on the battery and plugging the power after boot. But once you boot and and do a shutdown and "save" your working configuration then you are good to go next time.

As a side note now that Steam has in home streaming working I can use my gaming computer to run the games and stream them to my now ancient Acer 3820TG. Since the gaming computer does all the heavy lifting I can play pretty much any game I want on this PC at high settings. Gives a bit more life to this old girl.

4. Nukeleus

Nukeleus Newbie

Reputations:
    Bronsky

I know it's been a few years since Aunmar last raised this issue, but it's been plaguing me for years and I'm ready to tackle it head on. Given that the problematic USB ports I have aren't on the MB and are on their own card, it seems like the problem should be fixable. My SD card slot works just fine. Does that mean the problem is a software one? Awaiting your wisdom...

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    My old 3820TG.:( It's 8 years old, right? Hopefully, you can find a motherboard. I would go with the best GPU you can find. HD 6xxx series?

If it is a software issue, you won't have a functional USB port on the right side of the 3820TG. If only the two ports on the left are out, it is an issue with the subboard most likely. If you have a multimeter, check for signal on the sub-board side of the controller.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  6. Nukeleus

Nukeleus Newbie

Reputations:
  7. Nukeleus

Nukeleus Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks Bronsky! Can't believe you're still watching this thread. I have a working USB port on the right side. The mystery is that my SD card slot, which you previously noted is on the same sub-board as the left USB ports, is also working. I don't have a multimeter but can probably get access to one- do I need to take the whole laptop apart to get access to that sub board?

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    I stop by from time to time. Loved my old 3820TG. If you have a functional USB on the right, you probably have a hardware issue. The SD card reader can function even when the USB ports fail. I would check the ribbon first before changing the board.

9. Felic

Felic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    http://leshcatlabs.net/forums/showthread.php?tid=999

@Bronsky: Can you put this thread on the first page? Working update for windows 10 with switchable graphics working. No brightness issues on either card, new UI and you can now run discrete/switchable without having to flash your screen, they automatically switch depending on the app you use. No more black screen or anything else.

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    Done.