3820TG Owner's Lounge - Part Two

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Bronsky, Mar 13, 2011.

1. boostjunkie92

boostjunkie92 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    the 12.10 from amds site? and does anybody know which gen intel card we have? im guessing 1st gen

2. ahmetcan44

ahmetcan44 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I prefer to download drivers from Guru3D.

3. boostjunkie92

Reputations:
    i installed 12.10 and i dont have the black screen problem but it wont switch to my intel card when i unplug the laptop nor can i force switch it

4. do Malho

do Malho Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Try 12.6, I can do all of those things

5. boostjunkie92

Reputations:
    tried 12.6 the original 12.6 download link doesnt work anymore but 12.6 v2 installed and I was unable to switch graphics because i would get the error "switching the graphics processors cannot be performed at this time due to one or more running applications" i then tried to install the 4820tg amd drivers from acer and still get the same message....this has become a headache

6. havsbaden

havsbaden Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi and thank you for contributing to this community with your creative ideas. However, I would really appreciate if you could elaborate how exactly you did this. I understand that you used the latest Acer-amd drivers from Acer's website, but I'd appreciate a more thorough guide. Before you have remoted into your desktop, what drivers should you have installed? When you have remoted into your desktop, should you delete the current drivers and then install the Acer-amd drivers? I did do some experimenting myself with no success:

When I boot Windows 8 with "switchable" setting in BIOS it automatically installs two graphics drivers: ATI 5000 series & Intel HD graphics. My computer boots fine, and it tells me it's using Intel HD graphics, however the 5650 still seems to be running since my battery is draining too fast.

When I try to install the Acer-amd driver found on Acer's website it tells me that I already have the last updated version installed. If I try to install the latest version of Intel's HD graphics it says my pc don't meet the minimum requirements even though I'm in switchable mode. If I'm in discrete-mode I can install latest amd drivers from AMD's site but as soon as I boot in switchable-mode I get black-screen.

I really enjoy Windows 8, but if the switchable feature isn't working it's a big downside =/

7. geokilla

geokilla Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just use switchable graphics in the BIOS. I wasted so much time trying to do it in Windows it's not worth it anymore.

8. boostjunkie92

Reputations:
    i got it working....the 12.6 up2 works but not up3

9. boostjunkie92

Reputations:
    um quick question...what generation intel graphics cards do we have in our lappys?

10. kubco2

kubco2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is here someone who can switch between graphics(ATI 5650) on Linux? Switchable graphics technology is 2-3years old, but I can't switch on Linux ... I ran Intel only, but I need HDMI now. I must go with discrete Mode, but I hate it....

What about flickering on low brightness, is it resolved?

And one more question, when I use builtin microphone, there is interference, probably from vga fan, but I have new fans... I'm thinking about warranty claim...

What do you think?

thanks.