3820TG Owner's Lounge - Part Two

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Bronsky, Mar 13, 2011.

1. AlwayseSmile

AlwayseSmile Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello guys. So recently I've been getting abnormally high CPU temperatures of ~50 degrees idle and ~98 at 100% so I opened my beloved 3820 for some cleaning and re-pasting. Upon opening I discovered that one of the heat sink footings/screw mounts/thingy has come off the motherboard and only 2 screws still sitting tightly on the motherboard. (It is the footing on the right in the image attached.)

466473_10152142341485368_1732471144_o.jpg

I tried using some two solution epoxy but that melted with heat and came undone. Right now, with some new IC Diamond I'm getting ~44 idle and ~90 at load but I'm worried that the heat sink can come loose with only two screws.

What should I do?

(My warranty dried up two months ago...)

2. Lennong

Lennong Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, it means a full restart cycle. The reason for that is that some drivers are installed/replaced when booting up Windows again. I have fixed the link.

3. beckhammydog

beckhammydog Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks alot for the link! However, avast reported the dropbox link as malicious url~ not sure it's false or not.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By following the steps given, this happen, all the settings disappear~ help!

Attached Files:

• ccc.png
      ccc.png
      File size:
      322.1 KB
      Views:
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    The high-side temperature seems high to me. I would typically get high side temps in the 70s or 80s. As long as you can't anchor that one pin, you're going to have less than 100% contact on the heat sink. 90C isn't fatal. If you don't have throttling from temps jumping over 105C, you might just let it ride. On the other hand, if you want to remount that pin, you have to use heat resistent epoxy. You should look at marine epoxy or aircraft epoxy. Once cured, they should handle the temps.

5. _InKr_

_InKr_ Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Maybe try this method:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/har...s/413380-control-fan-speed-registry-hack.html

I mean: change DSDT's registry copy instead of BIOS.

Edit: found my old how-to change DSDT.
    [del]Here is the link for those how knows Russian:[/del]

Edit2: just tried the method. It doesn't work. Do not try to repeat.

Some details:
    Downloaded DSDT by iasl, modified proper string, tried to compile, but got an error in 1st string of file. This string was:
    So decided to ignore it (probably it was my mistake :)).
    Removed the string and recompiled, got some warnings but no errors. Uploaded back by asl and rebooted (in IGD mode).
    All was ok after reboot. But on next reboot when changed to PEG (Discrete) mode - got "You system not fully ACPI compatible" BSOD and moreover next reboots just hanged on POST screen. Pressing F2 didn't help - it only showed "Entering BIOS" string.
    Decided to try to flash BIOS in Crisis mode. Not sure if it actually did something (still has 1.17, when flashed 1.13), but after power cycle was successfully entered to BIOS and able to change back to IGD.

6. beckhammydog

beckhammydog Newbie

Reputations:
    Finally 12.9 Sep4 UnifL on my lappy~

I keep getting bluescreen if use the typical way,
    i'm frustrated and i just update my device manager to the latest version,
    and voila, it works!

7. prikolchik

prikolchik Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Loading custom DSDT did not work in Windows for 3820TG because DSDT changes (probably by the BIOS?) to a slightly different one depending on which video card configuration you are using. The only way software load of DSDT might work is if you extract DSDT in Discrete mode, modify it and load it, and test in Discrete mode. The reason this happens is because the memory is mapped differently in the ACPI depending on which video configuration you are currently using. No wonder it didn't work in PEG if you used IDG DSDT.

That little iasl warning shouldn't matter. If DSDT worked fine with that warning, then I don't see why it wouldn't all of a sudden. In fact, I modified my DSDT to unlock unsupported brightness levels, modified the BIOS with new DSDT and it works perfectly fine in any graphics mode, but that same DSDT refused to work if I loaded it with asl in Windows. It appeas that the only way to make the modified DSDT work with any graphics configuration is to modify the actual BIOS, and make sure to modify the virgin DSDT (can be extracted from BIOS image using PhoenixTool, it is ACPI00.aml file in DUMP directory) and not a DSDT dump.

I am not sure why your computer hanged at the POST screen since asl DSDT load only affected the operating system and made no changes to the BIOS. Only thing I can think of is that it made some changes to the Embedded Controller memory that prevented the POST from going through. You probably just had to shut down laptop, remove battery and power, and hold power button for a couple of minutes.

I tried to make a new modification of the BIOS and it didn't work (OS didn't boot due to corrupted DSDT). I think I didn't use a virgin DSDT, which is probably why it failed. I must try again this weekend.

8. _InKr_

_InKr_ Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Understood. Didn't know about this.

Same thoughts about corrupted EC or maybe CMOS (however my Fan speed modifications to EC seems remained untouched after "recovery").
    I've tried to remove battery but it didn't help. Maybe just more time was needed.

Waiting forward. Custom brightness levels are also interesting.

9. geokilla

geokilla Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have no clue what you just said or how to fix it... lol :(

I noticed that you have the Test Mode... Is there any way to get rid of it? I hate how Leshcat drivers require that weird installation method.

10. Lennong

Lennong Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I wouldnt say its weird. Its simply a reg tweak to allow for unsigned drivers to be installed, like XP has allways has been. I normallly disable it anyway... I run my win7 in super user mode and have spent some hours to let me be in full control of my PC. ;) Anyway, its fairly easy to change:
    “Test Mode Windows 7 Build 7601" Watermark - Remove from Desktop - Windows 7 Forums