3820TG Owner's Lounge - Part Two

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Bronsky, Mar 13, 2011.

1. underhuggare

underhuggare Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the exact same issue when on Intel graphics. Reloading the flash video usually solves it for that particular video (not always though), but it's nontheless quite frustrating since the green pixelation occurs often.
    I guess it's a driver-related problem but neither have I any idea on how to update the Intel graphics? I installed mine like Bronsky.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    When you are in Intel mode, click on the blue icon in the tray, go to power settings and move the setting from battery saving setting to performance settings. Then go into power saver, change all video settings from max battery to max performance. If you have Acer's ePower running, disable it. Reboot, and let us know what happens.

3. bhav2k1

bhav2k1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I think I was able to get rid of the problem using the 4820tg video drivers.

My process
    1.) Uninstalled all video drivers (intel, ati)
    2.) reboot and installed the acer drivers
    3.) reboot in discrete and installed new ati drivers
    4.) reboot back in switchable

4. _InKr_

_InKr_ Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Does anybody tried Catalyst 12.4 driver?
    On my system it have disabled brightness control in discrete mode again :(. Moreover, this time - not only Fn-arrows, but also in Win-X and Power options too.

5. jgrund

jgrund Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi! First post on this great forum and this awesome thread that helped me a lot, thank you!

I'm trying to use my monitor at the same time as my TV. I've made a slim VGA cable (cut the screws) to make it possible to connect both HDMI and VGA at the same time. My problem is that when I'm running this setup my both screens sporadically goes black for a couple of seconds. It seems to be like the GPU gets "disconnected" for a second (Windows is making the device unplugged-sound). This problem remains even if i unplug the HDMI cable. The only thing that solves the problem is switching from the high performance GPU to the battery saving one (but I can't use the HDMI on battery saving GPU, right? the computer always switches to high performance when plugging the HDMI). When I change VGA cable to an uncut one there's no problem (except that the HDMI won't fit... ;))

How do I solve this? The slimmed VGA cable seems to be the problem, but why only on the high performance GPU? I've tried two different VGA cables that I've cut away the screws on, and the screen goes black more often with one of them.

How did you solve this problem with the tight VGA and HDMI connections? Are they selling slimmed VGA cables anywhere? (Googled it of course, could not find anything). Is it possible to run the battery saving GPU when using HDMI?

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_lDJvJY-ytZM2ZzM2g3cDlqV1U <- there's my slimmed VGA cable. Shielded with aluminium foil, duct tape and rubberish tape :D

Thank you!

/Jesper

6. underhuggare

underhuggare Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No change, unfortunately..

Ok cool. So those drivers are compatible with the 3820tg? I'll give it a try.

7. tome

tome Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

It seems that the LAN port on my 3820TG is dead. Under Win7 SP1 I cannot see it in the device manager and a driver installation fails.

Is any chance to replace the LAN card?

Cheers,
    tome

8. squee666

squee666 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    tome you sure its turned on in bios.

i know some bios can disable it from there

9. pedderboerner

pedderboerner Newbie

Reputations:

anyone? :(

10. anysvalka

anysvalka Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone,
    I have 3820TG ATI+Intel with default win 7 and UnifL drivers. 1.19 bios vers.
    I do a bit of gaming sometimes and sometimes it switches off by itself because of the overheating I guess.

It is a bit hard to read through the whole topic, so may be someone got this problem when ATI card completely disappear even though it is turned one in bios.
    And I can't seem to find out why it is happening.
    Sometimes it works for 1-3 days, and after that the laptop goes to hibernate as usual, then when I switch it one I receive an error of loading from cache and the video card is gone, only the Standard video adapter is present in the system without drivers and it is Intel. And even if I switch video to discreet only in bios it is still load Intel card. Everything was fine before for almost a year.
    I have seen a few people had this problem on different forums, but no one seems to have any ideas why it is happening.
    Any help appreciated.
    Thank you!