3820TG Owner's Lounge - Part Two

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Bronsky, Mar 13, 2011.

1. duykhang

duykhang Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I remember having read somewhere in this thread that the 4820tg drivers were the latest coming from acer... btw for those who wants to oc their gpu use amd gpu clock tool + evga oc scanner to check for artifacts :D

2. hepatocyt

hepatocyt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    try a BIOS update or downgrade, simply fresh bios

3. PePe93

PePe93 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys!
    I have a stressful problem. I've just reinstalled Windows and my GPU is over 60*C only on firefox. I had had this problem before I installed new Windows and I thought it will be sloved after all, but it isn't. I installed lastest 12.3 driver from Leshcat blog. Any advices?

4. Just_a_Nick

Just_a_Nick Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Check the fan and the thermal connection. Is powerplay active?

60°C is not to high for this card, if it working on high performance mode.

5. AriStar

AriStar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What are the latest video card drivers available?

6. AriStar

AriStar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    btw, mine runs at 50 with just a browser open

7. maikvalberg

maikvalberg Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    perhaps thats because every brower uses hardware acceleration, therefore your gpu runs at high clock speed. Try to disable this function in Firefox for example.

8. Soli

Soli Newbie

Reputations:
    *OLD, read EDIT below*
    I ran into an issue after reinstalling AMD drivers and found a solution that I would like to share.

Problem: After reinstalling VGA drivers (0. Reboot to discrete 1. Drivers sweeper 2. Reboot 3. Acer AMD drivers 8.771.1 4. Reboot 5. Latest AMD drivers 12-3 mobility 6. Reboot) I was unable to manipulate with screen brightness using Fn+left/right arrow key.

I found out that changing brightness works, it just doesn't "refresh", because brightness changes in accordance to arrows pressed after turning screen off and on again.

Solution: Reboot to switchable and voila - manual screen brightness control is back in action and working.

PS: Even after close to 2 years with my 3820TG and a few issues caused mainly by the switchable graphic not being user-friendly enough - I wouldn't trade my laptop for anything! At least not yet...

EDIT: After a few more reboots and testing on Intel graphics, the solution described below is not working reliably.
    I am getting black screen and laptop is not switching from ATI to Intel properly. Manual screen brightness control is also not reliable.

(Installing switchable drivers is still a big mistery to me. Sometimes wish I had a hammer at hand to smash this thing to pieces)

EDIT 2: Allright, after a few tries, this seems to work (so far):
    1. Uninstall Catalyst control centre
    2. Driver Sweeper - remove AMD registry files
    3. Reboot to switchable
    4. Install AMD 8.771.1
    5. Install Intel gfx driver - VGA-Intel 8.15.10.2189
    6. Reboot to discrete
    7. Install 12.3 mobility ccc
    8. Reboot to switchable

EDIT 3 (last one, I promise):
    Drivers reinstall is holding up, I am in love with 3820 again :)
    With that being said, and after OCZ firmware updates (made it BSOD-less), would you recommend hooking an OCZ Agility 3 60GB/120GB with my lappy? Will it run just on the 3gb/s?

Giving it a memory facelift to 8GB is a given, it is hard to resist current prices.

Since I travel a lot with my laptop lately for extended periods of time, I would also like to shave some weight from the adapter. I am gathering enough ballsiness to get me a Xilence SPS-XP-LP90.B.R2. Wish me luck as not to set a hotel room on fire one day.

9. jahnh

jahnh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everyone...

Well, after I have not found any solution to the Graphics Problem with the Windows 8 Consumer Preview (only HD5650/6550 working, no switchable) on the internet I manages to get it working. Okay, not real Switching via Software, but at least via the BIOS. Here is the steps you should go through if you want to have the HD3000 working with Win8:

- goto this post: http://forum.notebookreview.com/7214705-post9986.html
    - install the modded BIOS
    - switch to IGD in the Intel menu as described in the post
    - start the Win8 system and feel happy about a running HD 3000!!!

BUT: follow these steps to get the HD5650/HD6550 working again:
    - switch to "Auto" in the Intel menu of the BIOS
    - that is not enough ;)
    - goto "Main" in the BIOS
    - switch option from "Auto" to "Discrete" in the graphics option!!!! Otherwise the discrete will not run (although it will be listed in the Device Manager)
    - start Win8 and install latest official AMD drivers for the Win8 Consumer Preview.

Enjoy your (at least via BIOS) switchable graphics. Hope it'll work for you guys out there who can't wait for Win8 ;)

PS: I have tested this with HD5650 Graphics, not tested with the HD6650.

PSSS: I'm not responsible for breaking your nb with a failed flashing of the BIOS.

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    After releasing the Timeline series, which included the 1830T and the 3820TG, Acer climbed to the number 2 spot in global sales, ahead of Dell and close on the heels of HP. Since that time, it has fallen to #4 and is lamenting its fall, promising to regain the third spot soon. Acer to reenter world top-3 PC vendor rankings, says chairman I think it very unlikely. I have been very unimpressed with Acer's computers, since the heyday of the Timelines (as well as a lot of other great models). The secret was a perfect combination of solid engineering, great components and proper pricing. I see little of that in Acer's current lineup. The Timelines, with their throttling issues have been a disaster. The S3 ultrabook is garbage IMO. It feels cheap and looks worse. I don't think the display on the S5 or the Timelines will be any better. Acer is failing to compete with other OEMs like Asus, who are upping the ante by adding significantly improved displays. I just don't see Acer competing very well in this changing market. It is really a shame. I think Acer was really onto something with the 3820TG. If they had merely stuck with the design and improved certain features like the display, it would still be a dominating notebook.

Rant over. Move along, nothing else to see here.:D