3820TG Owner's Lounge - Part Two

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Bronsky, Mar 13, 2011.

1. flunserl

flunserl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey Lennong,

Thanks a lot for your reassuring reply!

I guess I will just give it a try, results will be posted here, of course.

Ciao,

flunserl

2. Kevven

Kevven Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No problem!
    Could have saved me from doing a factory reset though :p
    But im just glad i got it up and running again.

3. Zoomeister

Zoomeister Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, thanks to part I and II of this thread, I've been glad to been an owner of the 3820tg for just under a year now.

I was just wondering whether or not anyone out there has been able to find a decent keyboard protector for the timelinex 3820tg-3022 model (2010, brushed aluminum with the european keyboard that is an upside-down "L" shape for the "enter" key; for canadians, it was purchased at staples). I've tried amazon and the best I can find was one that was without the pre-molded keys since nearly all of them only accomodate the US keyboard with the horizontal "enter" key.

Thanks for the input!

4. Maurik

Maurik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Very impressed with the way the 3820TG handles MW3, I let it choose optimal settings for Audio and Video. It's running smoothly on high settings with 2x AA. Looks great, but I had to significantly up the brightness.

I haven't done a Fraps yet, but I'm fairly certain I've never dropped below 30FPS, I've not noticed any slowdown.

5. arj154

arj154 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks for the feedback on skyrim, i was gonna get it on console if it didnt run well on pc, but it seems like the pc is the best thing to get it on!

also i was wondering, is it possible to upgrade the graphics card and processor on the 3820tg? Ive seen some posts of people with the 6550m which may run skyrim even better as well as other games. I realise its not typically possible but im thinking if i can buy the OEM one for this laptop, it might work. Im considering taking it apart to replace the thermal paste anyway.

6. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Wee...

Reputations:
    Processor is possible, but graphic card you need to find another motherboard with 6550M..

7. Just_a_Nick

Just_a_Nick Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The best way to get the other graphic card is to get a new motherboard from Acer with the faster one.

To solder something like a graphic card on a laptop you need professional equipment.

8. arj154

arj154 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    where could i buy a new motherboard? I remember seeing a link to a good parts replacement store so it would be great if i could get that, unless its really not advised.

9. Jäck

Jäck Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Skyrim.
    -1680x1050 16:10 monitor, laptop screen is on dual mode for surfing same time
    -I run it "High" and 4xAA 12xAAF, FXAA disabled, Shadows lowered to medium, Radial Blur High, view distances few clicks higher than High settings.
    -I use AMD clocktool to overclock Ati 560 and 900.
    -I also use the Skyrim Mod to get more fps
    -Fps is usually 20-30, sometimes 40. It should get better with new mods.

-VSync is on
    -Fov is 95

= I could use lower settings for some extra fps, but this is fine for me. I really love the performance of this laptop :)

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    A new motherboard will cost you almost as much as a left over 3820tg. You might be better off selling your unit and looking for a used or left over. Acer Aspire TimelineX 3820TG-484G75nks - Notebooks - computeruniverse