3820TG Owner's Lounge - Part Two

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Bronsky, Mar 13, 2011.

1. zsero

zsero Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Actually, I am considering replacing the 3820TG with the Sony SE.
    0.2 kgs more for a brilliant 15 inch 1920x1080 screen! Also the power brick is lighter/smaller, so it could actually be the same weight as the 3820TG.

For heavy computation I'm using a desktop these days.

2. havsbaden

havsbaden Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I updated to Catalyst Software Suite 11.10 and I have experienced a problem.

When I watch a movie or play a videogame, I sometimes get a kind of screen-tearing effect. This only happens when something is moving from left to right or vice versa on the monitor. I experience this on both the laptop's screen and on external monitors.

I'm considering going back to some older drivers, however, I'd like to stick with 11.10 because of the BF3 improvements...

Any suggestions?

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    My wife is looking for a 15" notebook and I recommended the SE. Great looking computer. She wants a MBP.:rolleyes:

Funny, my desktop has sat unused for the past few months, as I am doing everything on the Acer.

4. Distorted Vision

Distorted Vision Newbie

Reputations:
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    The 9 cell is quite large. The 6 cell lets the notebook sit properly as it is flush with the bottom of the notebook. The 9 cell extends down a couple of inches and lifts the computer off the table quite a bit in the back.

6. Laserion

Laserion Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hm, this did not work either. I still don't have the option to switch between the two gpu's.

7. too456

too456 Resident Angry Bird

Reputations:
    Is there a tab under 'power options' called 'switchable graphics' in CCC?

8. Maurik

Maurik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have both. I use the 6-cell for travel as it's lighter and means the bottom of the notebook is flat.

The 9-cell sticks out (see this picture http://i.imgur.com/GDnW5.jpg ), so there's some better airflow. I use it on my desk or around the flat because I can get get about 7 or 8 hours of battery life out of it with ease.

9. jimmydeanjr

jimmydeanjr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Needing some advice. I tried to repaste my 3820tg last night. All I had laying around was some Best Buy thermal paste. Didnt really seem to help any. If anything, it's worse. Idle CPU/GPU -50C/50C, Load 77C/88C. Ordered some mx-4 and will try again when it gets here. Question is, what do you guys do for the parts on the GPU heatsink that have thermal tape? Do you replace those or leave them alone? Heck, I wouldn't even know where to buy new thermal tape.
    Also, would you recommend bending the screwclips that hold the heatsinks in place up a little so they result in more tension onced screwed in?
    Any suggestions are appreciated.

10. too456

too456 Resident Angry Bird

Reputations:
    I repasted using IC Diamond, didn't bend the screwclips or anything and temps fell by 20 degs on full load. If you use good paste, bending the screwclips or changing the thermal tape is unnecessary.