3820TG Owner's Lounge - Part Two

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Bronsky, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Rubedizzle

Rubedizzle Newbie

Reputations:
  2. Liborek

Liborek Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I have this laptop for over a year and in last months I have problem with overheating. When I bought I played SC2 and other games without problem but now when Ï tried play game like Duke Nukem Forever or Age of Empires Online I get laptot overheat and shotdown after 30-60minutes. This model should have good cooling what I read. So where is the problem? Do you think that I get dust in my laptop? Or there is something broken and I should give it to store for repair? Thanks

3. too456

too456 Resident Angry Bird

Reputations:
    You could check for dust in the fans, and if you feel you're up for a challenge then replace the thermal paste with good quality paste such as MX-3/MX-4, IC Diamond etc. As long as you follow the instructions in the service manual to the letter, you won't go wrong.

4. sumdumguy

sumdumguy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    are you sure the CPU in 3820tg can handle even DDR3 @1333 MHz?

5. rezendevous

rezendevous Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    In theory yes,

though 35 bucks for a pair of any 8 gigs of DDR3 RAM is a good price I think.

6. jimmydeanjr

jimmydeanjr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have noticed something about my 3820tg and wonder if this is normal. Whenever I start gaming and the GPU temps shoot up, sometimes I hear a creaking sound coming from the chasis. It also happens when I stop gaming and the temps go down. It never occurrs at idle or at load. Only when temps go up and down by a big delta. Is this normal? Is is just the case/heatsink expanding contracting due to change in temps? The sound is a creaking/buckling type sound. Almost got me kind of worried. Another theory is maybe the factory heatsink paste has gotten old and hard, and it cracks when expanded. Any input is appreciated.

7. Maurik

Maurik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Except Wally33's post was concerning digital (optical) and standard output, which go through the same jack but different settings in Windows.

I've previously tried to change the "jack assignments" (i.e. try to make the audio-in another audio-out), using this guide but it doesn't seem to work with the 3820TG

8. sumdumguy

sumdumguy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've just noticed that the link I posted was wrong. It should've been this one:
    Intel® Core? i5-430M Processor (3M Cache, 2.26 GHz)

...still it doesn't mention 1333MHz sticks. Though, I've also noticed that the modules that came with my 3820tg were 1333MHz as well. :D
    BIOS will probably recognize that the CPU doesn't support such high clocks so it will underclock them and adjust timings according to SPD. So basically, you'll lose some frequency but you'll get lower latency, too. Decent trade-off, I think.

[​IMG]

9. too456

too456 Resident Angry Bird

Reputations:
    It isn't that i5 processors do not support 1333MHz, rather it's because of Intel having some arbitrary limit on i5 processors and limiting them to 1066MHz. And you are right, when you use 1333MHz RAM, it will underclock the RAM to 1066MHz but drop the latency from CL9 to CL7.

10. maikvalberg

maikvalberg Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So basically the latency drop is no reason to buy a 1333MHz Ram, because there are virtually no 1066MHz ram modules with CL 9. They all have CL 7 already. Or am I wrong?