3820TG Owner's Lounge - Part Two

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Bronsky, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Maurik

Maurik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As I suspected. Very interesting and useful though.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    It's not that insane. Actually, about a month ago, I started running my Acer OC'd all the time. I put SetFSB in the task scheduler. I backed my maximum clocks down to 85%. The result is a better multiplier that boosts to 3.64ghz a lot more efficiently. This is probably the most efficient setting for an OEM I5-540M. The CPU is also rock steady and still passes certification for my GIS MilSpec software.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those clocks can be tweaked even higher by using Typhoon and some modded IGPU drivers. The I5-580M easily clocks and runs stable to 3.8ghz.

Temperature is always a consideration too. The temperature rises significantly with each .05 ghz above 3.5 ghz.

too456 - You probably know a lot more about this that I do, but I always thought the SetFSB reset the base clocks and the max turbo clocks [from (2.53 ghz - 3.066 ghz) to (2.85 ghz - 3.64 ghz)]. If it was a function of raising turbo speed only, you should not be able to overclock CPU's without turbo like the Atom Z540 (mine runs permanently at 2.15 ghz and maxes out at 2.2 stable (I could get 2.5 if Intel would fix its crappy HD 500 driver). My I3-370M clocked to nealy 3.0 ghz stable in the 3820TG before I got the I5-540M.

3. Apex84

Apex84 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    But when my 450M runs at the highest multiplier (18. 20 for TB) it runs at 2.664 GHz, while it runs at 2.4 GHz without any OC. Or did I misunderstand your post??

4. Kevven

Kevven Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Feel like an idiot for asking this.
    But i struggled like a madman to be able to install catalyst 11.5 when it came out. Now 11.9 is out, and i cant get it to install. Im still stuck with the latest Acer driver (VGA_AMD_8.771.1_W7x86x64).

Anyone got this working? or am i stuck with the 8.771.1?
    Thanx so much in advance! =) (And yes, i have googled, and i have looked at the guides, and followed them from a to b =/ )

* Edit: I actually had to factory reset my 3820tg to get this working. But now i have version 11.9 up and running on my system*

5. boostjunkie92

boostjunkie92 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    with the 8gb ram upgrade I was only able to reach a max of 133mhz on my FSB, originally I was able to clock to 156 stable...as for the method I originally tried OCing with setFSB but was not able to overclock because I never got the pro version and could not find the correct clock gen in the freeware version so i tried setpll and havent looked back...have it setup so it runs a minimized bat at startup.

@bronsky yea the mx-4 takes the hassle out of pasting...it easy to spread and has no break in period where as silver has a 200 hour period as well as several heat cycles to reach maximum performance.

I really do need to buy a laptop cooler because I like to stream movies to my xbox with tversity but right now im getting by with a ghetto rig where I take 2 dvd/xbox cases and stack them under the laptop in the center allowing cooler air to be circulated...keeps me around 35c while the laptop is transcoding movies

6. PeterDLai

PeterDLai Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I actually have a 5650 model, so unless I'm an outlier, it should be affecting all 3820TG laptops.

7. too456

too456 Resident Angry Bird

Reputations:
    AFAIK, for Core i5/i7 processors, SetFSB only raises the maximum turbo ceiling so that the overclock will take effect when you need the extra processing power so you don't bleed your battery dry when you don't need the extra speed. For Core i3 processors as well as all non-Core i- series processors, SetFSB will raise the 'default' clocks. I could be wrong, it might be that SetFSB raises the 'default' clocks for Core i5/i7 processors as well, just that the power saving settings still push the processor speed to its default low frequency settings.

8. beast1944

beast1944 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just curious, for the ones who are playing BF3 on this machine (and my god do I have to say it runs great, most settings on medium, some on high) I get an error message every time before the start, urging me to update to 1.7, is there any difference in performance ??? Or should I just stick to 1.5 ?

9. Maurik

Maurik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Random question, unrelated to everything we've been chatting about...

Any way to get the headphone jack to act as a second headphone port audio port? To connect a set of rear speakers to for example?

Thanks.

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    External speakers yes. But, the jack shut-off will turn the units speakers off. You can manually over-ride the jack and get a signal from both at the same time, but I have no idea where you would mount rear speakers in the unit, if that's what you mean. There is nooooo room in there.

Update.