3820TG Owner's Lounge - Part Two

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Bronsky, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    ummmm ... down.:rolleyes:

2. maikvalberg

maikvalberg Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    yes price is the same, but 203$ is too much. 130$ or less for an i5-580m and i would buy one :D

3. boostjunkie92

boostjunkie92 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    no I meant up LOL....I'm gonna go as thin as possible and test the temps

4. beast1944

beast1944 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How in the world did you guys get BF3 already ??? )))

5. Apex84

Apex84 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Last time I tried I couldn't control the voltage with Afterburner but Sapphire Trixx allows me to increase it to 1.05V but I can't set it lower than 1.0V.

PS. what version of afterburner did you try?

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    Early beta for registered medal of honor users.

2.1 and it doesn't change the voltage.:( I might have to look at sapphire trixx. The 5650 should have some more oc'ing in it with more voltage. I have the temp headroom.

I haven't spent a lot of time gaming in quite some time. I forgot how much time you spend trying to make your computer go faster.

7. Apex84

Apex84 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I got as far as 760 MHz core clock at 1.014V but I didn't want to push my luck by going higher. I see no performance gain (a couple of FPS at most) by OCing the memory though, even at 1 GHz.

8. too456

too456 Resident Angry Bird

Reputations:
    I don't use the spread method for repasting because of the problem with the paste being too thin. If you put a ball of paste and compress it, the pressure from the heatsink will even out the paste nicely. Of course, don't try this with AS5 because it might fry your CPU if you put too much. With IC Diamond, my load temps fell from 100 degs with factory paste to low 80s on load. On idle it fell from low 50s to 40 thereabouts. The difference between top pastes like IC Diamond, Arctic Cooling MX3/4 etc isn't that much, it really comes down to how you apply it that makes the bigger difference.

9. boostjunkie92

boostjunkie92 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ok so after 3 1/2 hours of trial and error I figured out that using the heatsink to spead the paste is better than spreading it yourself.

my first run I used a razor blade to spead the thinnest layer i could while still covering the entire area...at the first boot I was seeing temps of 39-40c idle, I restarted the laptop and my temps jumped up to 50-51c idle and hit a max temp of 85c with prime95

My second attempt I applied like this:

[​IMG]

With this setup Im seeing temps of 47-50c (not much of a change) but only reaching 81c with full load (prime95)

so letting the heatsink do the job seems to be the best way for us on the cpu...as for the gpu both way got me the same result of about 44c idle, didnt do a stress test on the gpu yet.

Still dont know how or why I was hitting 39c on my first boot with the spread method or why it went up after a reboot...maybe it was a software glitch since the initial boot was a resume, hints why I restarted the computer.

Hope this helps people out.

10. Just_a_Nick

Just_a_Nick Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @boostjunkie95

Run prime95 as a single thread and let the proccesor use the boost mode.

The electrical power consum and the wast heat is higher as with 2 working cores at default clock.