3740QM Overclock?

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by hermit1007, Dec 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senshin

senshin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I know what you mean, but!

The TDP will Always be capped on 45watts and 55watts, It doesnt matter how much your clockspeed is (multipliers), it will stay 45watts, you get my drift?
    Your short power in a ivy bridge will always be 55 watts on max 56 sec. there is no way in changing this, then it always goes down to stay @ 45watts.
    You can max the numbers to hold off some kind of throttling, but that's about it.

I can put it on 300watts (short power boost or what's it name is) but it will still be 45watts, these values you can change lower, but when changing higher nothing really much happens.
    you can also see when stressing all cpu's it's getting stuck on let's 3.6ghz and 55watts, and it wont go higher in clock because it's lacks power.

Use a program to watch your TDP, like openhardwaremonitor, i don't care, Intel XTU.
    Increase your Bus speed and you see what I mean, it's i geuss after all exploitation's the only way of "really" increasing your TDP.

Sjoerd

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Interesting, do you have a TDP_UP or config_TDP option in your bios? That's how I unlocked control in the bios in my machine.

3. senshin

senshin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    hmm, I don't know really.

I could check it, just to know i am running a unlocked bios A11.

EDIT:
    Check it but there is no option like it.
    I can up the TDP to like 85 watts but you always get the cap off 45/55watts.

4. chrusti

chrusti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi,
    for some reason this doesnt work for me.
    Where yours says "Extreme Edition" - "Enabled" mine does only offer the option "BIOS"
    Also, when I set the rest up just like in your picture CPU Z still gives me the usual info.
    Furthermore, when I try to install the INTEL software it just keeps asking to restart my computer every time I run it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

5. Macpod

Macpod Connoisseur

Reputations:
    Is this possible with the i7 2720QM. i'm using bio A.08 and looks nothing like yours? which bios are you using?

6. chrusti

chrusti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Apparently it is overclocking however CPU Z shows that the cpu clock keeps jumping from 1000 to 3900MHZ
    which results in the benchmark score to be actually worse than without the overclock.
    Any ideas?

cheers

7. firstcw

firstcw Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

got myself a M17X R4
    - CPU 3820QM
    - unlocked A11 BIOS

But I can not change the BIOS-Option "Extreme" to enabled. It is greyed out.

Any advice for overclocking? How to overclock the 3820QM with XTU?

Cheers
    firstcw

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.