360 controller or ps3? or a good controller for pc?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by caguioa, Jun 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    This imo is the main reason to get a 360 controller, it really is PnP, too much so at times. Like when you fire up Metro 2033 and it defaults to the controller if it's plugged in...

2. funky monk

funky monk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I use the wired 360 controller with my computer and I never had any problems. It's plug and play on W7, and with vista it only requires a tiny bit of software to use it (at least that's what I did, vista didn't install the drivers automatically). The 360 controller also seems to be cheaper as well.

The one downside I'll give for the 360 controller is that the D-pad really is horrible to use. I have no idea why microsoft decided to design it that way. It takes a little while to get used to, but after a while you learn to live with it. It's not too much of a problem though, because most games seem to have taken it into account and only make limited use of the D-pad, so it's usually ok.

3. Chazy90

Chazy90 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The Xbox 360 Controller should be your first choice, but of course not for Shooters and especially not for Multiplayer-Shooters. Just like the others already said, Keyboard+Mouse set-up will destroy you.
    And I think that the D-Pad isn't that horrible. I haven't any issues with it til now.

4. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I like the overall feel and layot of the 360 controller more than that of the PS3 controller. I will admit that I'm much more familiar with the former one, so your mileage may vary. The D-pad on the 360 controller is nothing to write home about, but my fingers also tend to get weary after extended use of the bumper buttons on the PS3 controller (R2 & L2). As you may know Microsoft has introduced a special, chrome edition of their controllers. Apart from the obvious color difference (chrome silver, red or blue) they have revised the D-pad. The problem with those is that they're not wired controllers, meaning you would have to buy the wireless receiver to use them on a PC.

Honestly I would just go with the controller that feels the most comfortable in your hands. Even though the PS3 controller requires a bit more work to get up and running, it's not exactly a hard task.

5. DEagleson

DEagleson Gamer extraordinaire

Reputations:
    I gotta recommend the Xbox 360 controller here.
    Dont know what Sony did with the PS3 controller but the R2 & L2 triggers are horrid.
    If you gonna copy Microsoft, at least do it right. >_>

6. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Get an N64 controller, IMO the best out there :p

But staying on topic, I would pick a PS3 controller paired with Motioninjoy drivers, the xbox's analog/dpad config feels akward

7. HopelesslyFaithful

HopelesslyFaithful Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    if your going for old school i loved the dreamcast controller...sucks my dreamcast is broken. Me and my bro wanted to play virtual tennis together :)

8. masterchef341

masterchef341 The guy from The Notebook

Reputations:
    the xbox 360 controller is much (MUCH) easier to get setup correctly on a PC.

9. HopelesslyFaithful

HopelesslyFaithful Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    i just remember my buddy tried getting his to work and it had to follow some guide and special install thing and yet it didn't even work for some games. I forgot what he had to install but it was like a user created program lol. This was like 1-2 years ago

10. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    A wired 360 controller is plug it in, run windows update and voilà. It's ridiculously easy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.