32GB DDR3L 2133 RAM in AW17 R1 (M17X R5), maxing it out...?

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by UltraGSM, Feb 22, 2020.

1. UltraGSM

UltraGSM ...so many Alienwares...

Reputations:
    Hi all, been a while, life hectic, busy, forever moving... but still all very much in IT and lost to do with it.

Have very clean base to buid on, practically as new aw17 haswell socket/PGA 4th gen intel platform model, thinking just purely for fun of it and curiosity, maxing it out to whatever possible. since its so clean, I may just keep it.

Originally came with i7-4700MQ
    some ram
    GTX770M
    FHD LCD
    some HDD/SSD.

My idea is upgrading it to 4930MX or 4940MX (already have couple of 4900MQ on hand but, you know, the itch for more if it can be had, especially its older model yet very capable, so why not just go with little more extra? :)

I already have 120HZ LCD put aside from M17XR3/R4 , and EDP cable for AW17 has already arrived this week to me.

Got keyboard replaced with new US version variant so can get some good looking keyboard protector skins.

Have some 2133MHZ DDR3L RAM spared aside. tried 4 x 8GB 2133MHz sticks in my M18XR2 and it works perfectly, stress tested memtested , all runs at full speed and timings are expected, no errors issues hangs for over 24h stress-load scenarios.... so my question would be - do AW17 haswel versions do well with same 32GB 2133MHZ DDR3 Ram upgrade? Anybody can share their experiences?

Also, given screen ram and CPU maxing out works good I will be seeking to get 1060/1070 card in this and pair it with all copper 5pipe GPU heatsink... then ending of it all would be to slap some nice SSD's in it and call it a day.

Anyone wants to throw some knowledge bombs at this? :)

Thanks

Maxware79 likes this.
  2. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    As far as i know to the best of my knowledge , the 120hz screen is not interchangeable between R4 / AW 17 R1. I had both model and tested both screens,

3. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    They're the same screen, should work.

Many members here have used 2133 in the AW 17 with success.

Pro tip, theres no reason for a MX as the 4900MQ can do a max of ~4.4?ish on all core with turbo bins.

4. UltraGSM

Reputations:
    Interesting, so yous are saying its absolutely unnecessary for mx cpu since I can manipulate little bit OC allowed by intel to reach speeds of 4.4ghz x all bins? By the way, is 4.4ghz usually what is MX chips run stable at sustained load for prolonged times anyway? I was looking up a guy from Germany who did a quad pipe CPU heatsink mod for his CPU, was thinking replicating the same, and throwing the best possible CPU , then slap it together with liquid metal ultra or ICD graphite pad and find highest stable frequency the machine can run @ stable temps with given setup.

PS, side note- does the 10CFM fan swap mod from m14x in to aw17 also work and fit, like it worked on m17xr3/r4?

Cheers

5. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I do not know about the fan question you've posed, but all haswell i7's have atleast 2 turbo bins, the 4900MQ has +6. I think thats around 4.4ghz.

6. MrMogwai

MrMogwai Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    About the screen, I don't think that actually is true. I have both, the 3D screen for M17xR3/4 and currently running the 17R1 with 120Hz dedicated one. the former has different number of pins and finding a proper cable was impossible. If I remember correctly, 17R1 screen is 40 pin, while the M17xR3/4 is a 50 pin cable with a different connector.
    As for the CPU - unlocked A14 BIOS offers a plethera of options for overclocking out of the box.

7. UltraGSM

Reputations:
    Hi all, I have been having and still do have so much going on in life, world, and on top of all all this now COVID-19 crisis unfolding everywhere, times dont seem favorable unfortunately, honestly, I havent had enough time to sit down and try anything with that machine...yet.
    I have ordered and received a replacement cable for my aw17, the screen cable that is EDP is designed to accommodate 120HZ panel (havent touched it yet, been months by the feel now)
    Also have loads spares from m17xr4/R3 and have handful 120HZ 3D panels from them, havent tried even looking at them yet.

I will need to narrow down the focus to either see if I jut stick with i7-4900mq of try and hunt down the MX chip.

Seen , but not ordered yet 5 pipe GPU heatsink made out of full copper , looks insane, Im sure does work same insane too...

PS: @MrMogwai , cant help but notice that youre dealing with M18xR2 EDID reload? I have one nice clean M18XR2 panel that is working 100% on every other non-alienware laptop or external LVDS to HDMI adapters but not in the M18X laptops, I got this as a spare project but havent been digging about it yet, would love to fix it so it could be used again as a proper m18x screen... any ideas? I feel this one had suffered win10 fiasco where machine would have had nvidia graphics card and drivers update somehow bricked the LCD firmware?

Thanks

8. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    Right now I'm on a bit of hiatus, don't have much time for it, but I have my plans on applying default BIOS to M18X, it won't boot on any other LVDS screen, so I'm trying to work form the ground up. Will let you know how it goes.

9. UltraGSM

Reputations:
    you think youre issue had orriginated in a reverse order as in from BIOS/EC motherboard upward toward the LCD rather than LCD CHIP being affected directly , and that being the only thing?

Ive tried this one partially faulty LCD from M18X or R1 and on R2 with various different bioses and nothing, screen lights up in black-light, then what it appears as a typer blinker would get stuck on left top corner of the screen permanently and laptop beeps series of codes of what I have checked last time was either Display or GPU fault code, while trying on D-GPU or iGPU same exact behaviour, so I narrowed it down solely to LCD panel in my case as trying different cables proved nothing positive

10. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    In my case I don't even have a blinker, I've got a fully white screen and that's it. Need a full evening to resolve it, and recently I don't have time :/ will let you know how it goes.