3 Monitor Setup Questions

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Drew1, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Starlight5

Starlight5 Yes, I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Reputations:
  2. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Like to update this. Few things I want to ask in 2 situations.

So as I mentioned I am currently using 2 monitors right now.

Samsung UJ59 32' 4K Monitor

Samsung syncmaster T240HD 24' Monitor

I have these cables

usb-c to display port cable - Currently Using It With Samsung 32' 4k Monitor to my dell xps 15 9550 laptop

hdmi to hdmi cable - Currently Using It With Samsung 32' 4k Monitor to my dell xps 15 9550 laptop

usb-c to hdmi cable - Not Used at the Moment

Asus C624BQ 24' Monitor - I have this monitor as well and not using it.

The thing is that samsung syncmaster 24' screen is messed up at the top part of the top part of the screen I will post a picture of how it looks. Because of this, I would like to use my Asus C624BQ 24' Monitor along with my samsung 4k monitor. This asus 24' does have some spots on the screen but it isn't that bad. But in order to do this... I need to buy another cable right? Would I need an hdmi to display port cable for this? I check amazon but i need to make sure it goes two ways right? I read reviews that some hdmi to displayport cables only go 1 way which is not the way i want it to?

The thing is I only have one usb-c port in my dell xps 15 9550 laptop which is currently in use with my samsung 32' 4k monitor.

3. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    In the second situation, I still want to be able to use two 4k monitors. I am thinking about buying another 32' 4k monitor or possibly a 27/28' 4k monitor. But maybe... less likely buy a 43' 4k TV to be used as a monitor. Would you say that would be ridiculous to use a 32' 4k monitor along with a 43' 4k TV together though? Thing is my folding table is only 4 foot and I can barely put my 32' 4k monitor alongside with the 24' samsung syncmaster. But not only that... because i put my dell xps 15 9550 laptop on the table, i don't really have that much space. I did read I could buy those laptop adjustable height things but that doesn't apply such I still would be putting it on my folding table right?

So in my folding table, its like

Dell xps 15 9550 laptop put on the bottom left of my table but like sideways. Then the 32' 4k monitor on the left part of my table and i have to put the 24' on the right side of my table. Issue is looking from one monitor to another is very hard. Previously when i had used just two 24' monitors... i put them close to each other like a reverse letter V. Thus it was very easy to look from one monitor to another without that much neck movement. But now its really hard to look at the other 24' and use it much because of my 32' 4k monitor.

Now let say I get a bigger table, like a 6 foot table, I know I would have lot of space to put my monitors.

Now If I want to have two 4k monitors and make sure they run at 6k hertz, thus my 32' 4k samsung monitor with another 4k monitor or TV whether its 27/28/32 or 43' TV... I need to buy a docking station right? Thing is i check amazon and they sell a dell one for around $130 dollars plus tax. Then I see other brands that are cheaper or much more expensive. Would those work as well? If so, can others link me the exact docking station I should get?

Again, I can use 2 monitors at the moment with my dell xps 15 9550 ... whether its my 32' 4k samsung with another 24' monitor with 1920x1200 resolution.... or use two 24' monitors with 1920x1200 resolution with the cables I currently have.

But if I want to use two monitors of 4k... best recommendation for docking station that would be best for me? Also would it work if say I use it with my current 3 monitors? Such as my 32' 4k samsung and the other two 24' 1920x1200 monitor?

I also remember reading somewhere if you use a 4k monitor, you should almost always use a docking station as oppose to the method im using... which is a usb-c to display port to a 4k monitor because it uses less resources. Is there any truth to this? And what exactly is meant by less resources? Because there doesn't seem to be any lag on the 32' 4k monitor. I did read people say if your 4k monitor does 30hz, then its basically unusable if using it for a computer monitor.