220 watt Power Supply question

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by KY_BULLET, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I mean you could also just cut the wire from a PSU that fits and solder it into the other. I did the same for a friend, even tho the way PSU cables are build makes the soldering a bit tricky.

2. KY_BULLET

KY_BULLET Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This
    Probably what I will do since I hear those bricks are pretty hard to separate.

Charlie

3. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    If you do it, make sure you cut the 3rd ring short, the 2nd ring medium and the last ring long, so that if you solder it together, that it will be way easier than if you cut all rings even.

KY_BULLET likes this.
  4. KY_BULLET

Reputations:
    After seeing the wire size difference in the 330 watt Power supply versus my 220 watt supply, I'm going to find a different route. I don't think my smaller wire can carry the load.

5. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    It's probably because the 330W PSU has 3 layers while the other PSU has only 2, had the same "problem" on the one I made. All you have to do is to cut the 3rd layer completely off and connect layer 1 and 2. Worked like a charm, no degrade in performance, all measued with a multimeter.

1st layer ground
    2nd layer power
    3rd layer pin.

The pin doesn't exist in clevo systems.

KY_BULLET likes this.
  6. KY_BULLET

Reputations:
    I opened the brick, the actual wire size is literally twice the size. There are 2 black, one white and one green, mine has one black and one white. So I would just tie the small green wire in with the ground right?

I will probably do it because there isn't any other choice out there. I wish they made an adapter for people with the round 4 pin male outputs.

Charlie

7. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    Not sure why there are 2 ground but I'm unsure as to which cable is corresponding to which, I'd assume white is white and black is black, but I don't really know right now. I think the green wire might be the center pin, which you can ignore alltogether if that's the case, but I'm not entirely sure, maybe we can grab @bennyg and see if he knows something.

I mean you could wire them like you think they'd be (ignoring the green wire alltogether) and measure the output of your adapter with a multimeter. That way u'd be fine I think.

I wouldn't ever connect it into your notebook before measuring anyways, just to be safe.

KY_BULLET likes this.
  8. KY_BULLET

Reputations:
    The output plug on the 330 watt psu has the 4 pin female round clevo type plug with no center pin. On the circuit board where the green wire attaches, it said idpin I believe.

9. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    Can you maybe post pictures of the PSU and the plugs?

10. KY_BULLET

Reputations:
    Yeah I can when I get home later.