2080 9900k - which is best laptop?

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by jks87, May 16, 2019.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    The EVOC system is backed by people that actually care about their customer, and the EVOC system is less likely to catch on fire or die a month or two outside of its warranty period. And, it isn't crippled by cancer firmware or limited to 2400MHz on RAM. It has amazing @Prema firmware that makes the Clevo everything the Alienware will never be. I unwatched the Alienware Area 51m thread because every time I read the nonsense going on in it all it does is ruins my day and makes me more angry with Dell for selling such an overpriced, broken down pile of trash.

Yes, it looks super nice. But, so do high-end prostitutes. And, they don't actually love you... even if they say they do.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Aroc, Ashtrix, ole!!! and 9 others like this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Have you seen Donald's comments on the Area-51m vs. Clevo in the reddit thread?

Have you seen all flaws with the Area-51m? I'm sure you have :)

Second and last... Have you seen Alienwares QC and quality problems the last 6 years?
    upload_2019-5-21_16-27-47.png

How will the Area-51m stack up regarding quality? If this new Aw model follow its predecessors from the last years... This doesn't look very promising. And even worse for those who opted for minimun warranty. + buy spare parts second hand will be a Nightmare! http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-owners-lounge.826831/page-1133#post-10913163

For the records.. OWNorDisown on YouTube haveen't experienced same with Clevo P870 series as what you did. And he have tested same model several times (older + refreshed models).

Ashtrix, jclausius, jaybee83 and 4 others like this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    A51M with LGA doesn't make sense if they release new Chips and mobo on yearly basis and lock out CPU upgrades on A51m rev1 to sell newer A51M rev X. Limited by BIOS and thermal headroom, the ultimate jokebook laptop engineered to wreck havoc against end user.

High-end prostitutes??
    Does it exist? Well, it might. A loss in main part unless you pay more just like 2 power adapters on A51M.

I think Donald is getting mad at A51M rip-off.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2019
    Ashtrix, jaybee83 and Arrrrbol like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I think the Area 51m makes great sense for the reason that it is not a BGA turdbook and it can be repaired. And, it still runs better than a BGA turdbook in spite of the fact that it is crippled. So, I give kudos to them for having an option that isn't BGA garbage. It's absolutely a step in the right direction for them and other brands should follow the lead of Clevo, just as Alienware has had the good sense to do.

It's just unfortunate that Alienware gimped it. But, that is their modus operandi and I fully expected it based on their history of always doing that to everything (including their desktops). Maybe we will get lucky and MSI and ASUS will release something with a desktop CPU capable of competing with Clevo that doesn't have a proprietary GPU and hasn't been CPU neutered as much as the Area 51m.

Ashtrix, jclausius, Arrrrbol and 3 others like this.
  5. jc_denton

jc_denton Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I feel like the AW machines are like newer cars.
    You open the hood and there's a plastic shroud around the whole engine.
    Only thing you're allowed is to refill the sprinkler fluid.

Ashtrix, jclausius, jaybee83 and 4 others like this.
  6. Vasudev

Reputations:
    But I feel users can't upgrade their A51M's CPU to 10th gen 14nm++ PCLGA because BIOS support will be missing anyway and that lower DRAM freq will put down most RAM performance benefits as well.

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    They can't upgrade their BGA turdbooks either. But, at least they don't have to choose between selling it for parts, throwing it away, or spending $1200-1500 on a motherboard when it dies outside of warranty. And, at least they'll enjoy much better performance than they can have with a BGA turdbook. Those are all positive things that shouldn't be dismissed.

Alienware refused to provide simple BIOS updates for their desktop motherboards when everyone else in the world was dropping in an 8700K in place of 7700K, so we shouldn't expect any support for upgrades where Alienware laptops are concerned. They want to sell systems and don't want anyone to be able to enjoy upgrades. That's just how they roll.

Plus, there is a limit to upgrades even in the desktop world. For example, you cannot upgrade from Ivy Bridge to Haswell, or Z390 to X299, or AM4 to TR. And, it looks like next gen AMD customers are going to need a new mobo/chipset to keep up with what AMD has planned for Ryzen (even if the CPU fits the socket). We don't want progress to be stifled only for the sake of being able to claim an easy upgrade. It is bad for those ready to go new on everything to be held back for the sake of those that don't want to spend as much. But, BGA stifles upgrades even when an upgrade would be otherwise possible but for the piece of crap being a soldered abortion.

ole!!!, jclausius, Arrrrbol and 2 others like this.
  8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    A friends Audi came without a dipstick :/

Aroc, Ashtrix, jclausius and 5 others like this.
  9. jc_denton

jc_denton Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Next time it'll be like..

10. Vasudev

Reputations:
    You mean it was shipped without a gear!?