2080 9900k - which is best laptop?

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by jks87, May 16, 2019.

1. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    ONE.jpg

Aroc, Traindriver316, Mr. Fox and 4 others like this.
  2. jc_denton

jc_denton Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Are there any reselleres that one could contact in order to buy a barebones version of a p870tm and reuse existing parts?
    Asking for a friend. :p

Mr. Fox likes this.
  3. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Eurocom sell them but they charge quite a lot for it, @tanzmeister sold some barebones P870s in the past, not sure if he still does or not.

Aroc, Papusan, Mr. Fox and 1 other person like this.
  4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Partly why competition would be nice.

Aroc, Papusan, Mr. Fox and 1 other person like this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Where I come from, we call that "manipulation" LOL. And, considering Clevo 1080 has performed close to the same as desktop 1080, I am sure they don't want that. Making Max-Q look bad is easier than it should be. We can always count on the Green Goblin for a healthy measure of nonsense. Probably why they stopped supporting MXM as well. End-user enthusiasts, more often than not with your help :vbthumbsup:, got to be too effective at breaking their rules and achieving more than what the Green Goblin wanted them to achieve. I think maybe it messes with their synthetic next-generation upgrade road map too much. 2080 mobile versus 1080 mobile is a good example of that. There's not enough distance between them on the horsepower "Richter Scale" to warrant the cost for such a small performance upgrade. For most users, getting a new notebook because it sports a RTX 2080 cripple-master GPU is only meaningful if the machine they are replacing is 1070, 980N, 980M or something even more antiquated and anemic by comparison. If they already have 1080 in their notebook it is not compelling enough to justify spending such an ungodly amount of money.

@tanzmeister probably still does. He hasn't been on the forum as much lately since he just opened a new computer shop (lots of hours invested in getting things established). HIDevolution likely sells a barebones option as well. Probably can reach out to @Donald@HIDevolution to confirm what is available.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Aroc, ole!!!, FTW_260 and 3 others like this.
  6. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    nVidia are the ones that made the chart for Pascal that mobile GPUs are getting closer to desktop GPUs.

Why not say they've caught up and just allow higher TDP 2080s (nVidia limited to 150W but OEMs such as AW/ASUS have 200W) and then just release a 2080Ti lol.

Sucks that they wouldn't allow 1080Ti or 2080Ti. Now that we have at least 2 companies (AW/Clevo) in the game with desktop grade laptops and maybe even a third (MSI) I would hope they can all try together and push for a 2080Ti or 3080Ti.

Arrrrbol likes this.
  7. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm trying to customize the P870TM-R with the exact same specs like my Area 51m and the Area 51m is $540 cheaper than the EVOC system, for the exact same specs!

Moreover, AW comes with a 2 year international warranty while the EVOC comes with a one year warranty only. Also, if OP selects the 9900k option, they're charging extra $195 for the power adapter too. The only difference between the aforementioned systems is that my Area 51m has a 1TB nvme ssd and EVOC has two 512GB nvme SSD as 1TB option doesn't like it is available anymore. I've also not added a $30 perfect panel guarantee option in the EVOC while 51m has it.

So, $500 extra for the exact same specs, for a system which runs at 5% within each other and that comes in a flimsy chassis and looks like its 10 year old system is downright ludicrous and I just cannot justify it.

I just don't see the value of the EVOC compared to the Area 51m. The customer service for overseas customers by Hidevolution and EVOC is absolute garbage too. I've had a 1080 based 870TM1 which I ended up returning last year and it was by far the worst purchase I've ever done. It was being raved about in the NBR forums and the experience was owning one was quite opposite to be honest. It was so flimsy and screen had an yellowish tint on it and I ended up returning it. The refund process was also a nightmare as 30 day return policy doesn't apply to us overseas customers.

So, I would urge OP to weigh in all the factors with an open mind before making a $4000+ purchase.

Edit: How do I post high quality screenshots using Tapatalk?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

8. jc_denton

jc_denton Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not every ones experience is the same, and it sounds like you were unlucky?

But for the extra cost you get, far superior cooling solution, which is alpha and omega in these laptops. And a non-neutered system that won't be throttling because of some behind the scenes code.

Ashtrix, cfe, Papusan and 3 others like this.
  9. FTW_260

FTW_260 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can you share links to this store, or is it an offline store? :eek: О_о

10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I do not know if he is that far along to have an online presence yet. I believe it may be in Russia or Finland.

jaybee83, FTW_260 and Arrrrbol like this.