2080 9900k - which is best laptop?

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by jks87, May 16, 2019.

1. jks87

jks87 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi!

My Alienware m51 broke

It had excellent temperature of 70-85 celcius but it broke because of motherboard powerfailure. I got my money back.

Looking for an alternative.

Sustainable cooling is important to me as setime this will be rendering 4 days straight. Non stop. OC not important to.

2080 GTX essential in very close to desktop performance. The alienware 200 watt performaned better than my own desktop 1080 to.

Considering getting a clevo from hid.

What's the best one?

And is one thing bezel without sacrifice of performance/thermal?

Hope anyone can help

I have little overview because of all the names of clevos just being numbers and letters. Hard to understand what's what.

2. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    HID is a good choice, especially because they are the only vendor (that im aware of) that offers the previous Clevo flagship P870 with 9900K and 2080. officially, Clevo only offers the P775 and P750 with that combo.

the P870 has superior cooling capabilities and is built like a tank. so my suggestion: by all means go with HID and the P870TM-R :)

here you can check out the owner's lounge: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/official-clevo-p870tm-r-owners-lounge-phoenix-5.826848/

Ashtrix, Mr. Fox, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Bigger is better if you dont mind sacrificing portability.

Aroc, Ashtrix, Papusan and 3 others like this.
  4. qon

qon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The clevo should give you better thermals and also has some more flexibility (more choices for the display, more HD slots, etc.)
    You can opt for the delidded CPU, liquid metal thermal paste, and better thermal pads if you order at HID and want to have best temps.

Unfortunately, as far as I know the RTX 2080 BIOS is still locked and there is no version with more than 150W available for Clevo.
    Only AlienWare has the 200W bias so far.

Aroc and Arrrrbol like this.
  5. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The P870 definitely has the best cooling of all the machines that have the 9900K, temps will be great especially at stock and with HIDEvolution's thermal mods. The motherboard is also a much more proven design, as it has been used largely unchanged since 2015 and there have never been any major defects with it.

It is also possible to flash the 200W vBIOS to the Clevo 2080 if you can get hold of it, but I believe you will need a programmer to flash it. Even on the stock vBIOS though, it should still be faster than a 1080.

Aroc, Mr. Fox and Papusan like this.
  6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Yes the skypro and 1.8v adapter is the most popular flashing tool.

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    As others have pointed out... Go with HID and the P870TM-R :) + they offer proper cooling mods + @Prema Custom firmware. Haven't seen many Clevo have went to hardware Heaven as the burning down Area-51m. The Clevo is well proven model.

EVOC High Performance Systems P870TM-R

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Aroc, Ashtrix, Falkentyne and 3 others like this.
  8. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I have the Area-51m. I also owned P870DM/DM3 so I can safely say...

Clevo P870TM-R is the only alternative I'd recommend.

Just be sure to buy it from a Prema partner.

Aroc, jclausius, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  9. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Not many people are still offering it.

10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I will chime in with the others to recommend the Clevo P870 over anything else, and definitely from a @Prema partner shop. HIDevolution is my personal favorite, but there are others that will treat you well. https://premamod.com/partner/ LPC Digital and XOTICPC are two additional options in the US. Not sure if all of them still offer this beast.

The first model in the P870 family was released in 2015 and nothing else available in a laptop can touch it. I hope Clevo reconsiders and decides to resume production of it with single GPU and SLI vapor chamber.

It's kind of sad the execution and QC on the Area 51m didn't turn out better. It had some nice things going for it, but being fire prone and performance capped sucks. But, the mess it turned out to be has highlighted how awesome the P870 is for those that didn't already know.

Aroc, Ashtrix, jaybee83 and 2 others like this.