2021 Vaio Z

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by buddy1065, Apr 7, 2021 at 1:26 PM.

Tags:
  1. buddy1065

buddy1065 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I had the Vaio Z ten years ago when it had a dedicated graphics chip, a 13" screen and an ultralight weight. I loved it for many years until the fan gave out. Although it still worked at light tasks I gave it away. Paid $2500 for it. Now the Z seems to be coming back and although it does not have a dedicated graphics chip the new Intel Iris Xe Graphics make it an interesting pre-order offering with 18 hour predicted battery life in the i5 CPU version, which I would prefer. I am waiting for some professional reviews of this version and although I will use it mainly for video editing I hope it can do some moderate gaming like Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion. The i7 version is available now but I would never spend more than $2500 on a laptop since I am retired and it is more of a hobby.
    https://us.vaio.com/collections/vaio-z

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021 at 1:32 PM
  2. skipper63

skipper63 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    8-10 years back the price premium was justified because the technology was unique. Not anymore. Still I think they manage to get top performance relative to the weight. But most of the competition now moves to 16:10 screens, bigger batteries, maybe 2 SSD slots.
    Here is a nice review:

But for this price and size I would go for the Asus Flow X13. It reminds me the old VAIO Z with the dedicated docking solution.

Personally now i am used to bigger screens and since I always used to carrying a portable numeric keyboard with my Vaio, now I have everything in a 15inch laptop (LG Gram)