2020 Gaming; Aorus 15G or Razer 2020 Advanced or Asus S15 2020 or MSI GS66

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by vahdyx, Apr 27, 2020.

1. vahdyx

vahdyx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My question doesn't really fit the form required to post here, but will fill it out to comply. Basically I'm deciding between these 4 laptops. Each have their pros and cons, but wanted to know what everyone's thoughts are.

Here's a very vague why and why not.

Aorus:
    • Pro: Fingerprint repellant color.
    • Pro: Less expensive than Razer
    • Pro: Optional 17"
    • Con: Meh design aesthetic
    • Con: Wobbly Screen

Razer: Everything about the 2020 model I like, minus the price. My previous laptop was a Razer, I went through three of them before I found a reliable one, but that last one was fantastic in mercury white...

Asus S15: I had the 2019 version for one for a week last year, but during gaming it was far too loud, but fingerprints... Everything else I found very appealing especially the keyboard.

MSI GS66: Concerns about build quality, it's new, haven't heard much about it yet. Also concerned about fingerprints, it sounds like it's the worst out of all the new laptops for finger prints. I like the rumored better build quality and pricing seems good.

1) What is your budget? $3500 (Sold my previous Razer 15 to raise my limit)

2) What size notebook would you prefer? 15-17"

d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook? USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: MSI, Razer, Aorus, Gigabyte, Asus.
    b. Dislike: Elektronic, HP, Alienware, Overpowered, Origin, Sager/Clevo, Lenovo, Dell.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? Yes, but only with RTX Super Cards

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Gaming, Work. Bringing to meetings, remoting into servers, other computers, diagnosing issues, client onboarding.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Work by day (moving from site to site), stationary by night (gaming on a laptop cooler)

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) AAA titles, to old RPGs and indies. I'm a versatile gamer.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? 3 hours, but more the better.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? No online is fine.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.: Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.) 1080p 144 Hz or more

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.) Doesn't matter

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Yes, I prefer fingerprint free, but I can deal with it by wiping it down all the time, just kind of annoying. The more premium the look the better.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? Doesn't matter if I can upgrade.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? ASAP

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? Hopefully for a year and have some return on it by selling while saving for a 2021 model.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? It would be rough, but I could manage, if it were to fail, I could just use my desktop for awhile.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? Yep

==========
    END COPY

2. RhyStar

RhyStar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi, just some hopefully helpful comments here.

I am not sure why you would want to spend so much on a gaming laptop (or any laptop for that matter), especially if you plan on replacing in a year or so when technology advances.

Also, there is no such thing yet as a reasonably sized system that is quiet during real gaming. I can limit the noise with undervolting but in general it is a better experience to use a headset.

I love my Legion Y540. I play all of the AAA games without a hitch and it cost me $1299.

If I were you I would search “top 20 gaming laptops 2020” and then write down what seemed most important to you. On YouTube there are great reviewers who have done a lot of work comparing them all.

It is hard to know what is most important to you. For example, I wanted a system that had optimus to switch from discreet graphics for battery life. I also wanted one that could easily be upgraded (SSD) and could control max battery charge when being plugged in for long periods.

Good luck,
    R

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk