2019 Razer Blade stealth performance

Discussion in 'Razer' started by Naeem Chandani, Dec 15, 2018.

1. BartusCompater

BartusCompater Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm starting a thread about this on the Razer Insider forums. Hopefully it will get some attention there. Thanks for the excellent video!

Brad331 likes this.
  2. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nice video, we did same thing on Blade 15 last year, yes power limit throttling is there as well, and no one so far as I know success ripping Blade 15 bios, it’s accessible but their firmware or bios setting somehow keep always the default. I don’t know how much it would impact video editing but on gaming I was pessimistic about this as well at first actually, but after 9 months owning it, gaming overall performance isn’t bad at all and that power throttle to lower tdp did not effect FPS smoothness in my experience, on lower frequency it still often stay long on max all cores 3,9 (8750H), and I think for staying on that frequency we don’t always need max tdp. I think Blade 15 is still one of the fastest 1070mq laptops, it’s due higher gpu tdp like on stealth 2019 mx150 compared to other.
    F0F7B90C-D816-4282-A357-110E6386B782.jpeg
    82241060-2018-4D66-A5B9-1028E5EECDED.jpeg

3. Brad331

Brad331 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Right. Gaming is GPU-heavy and not that demanding on the CPU. But for video editing and some other things, it is a problem. The bottom line is that if a laptop is not running at near 100°C, one way or another it's not fully utilizing its hardware capability. A waste of thermal headroom.

As consumers, we need to demand more.

4. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did you measure how long or bad compared to other laptops is this power limit things effecting? It’s similar with Blade 15 at first months launch, since then I think due optimization it’s less but still there. I remember some of Razer forum moderator brings the issue to staff, when I’m not wrong it’s for better temperature. And recently from notebookcheck there’s comparison with similar specs ultrabook. If I’ve to choose between two I would definitely go for stealth, look at gaming temperature, other is throttling. So it’s maybe not due wasting thermal room etc, maybe they take the worst condition like gaming temperature.
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Razer...st-13-inch-Ultrabooks-available.396601.0.html

5. Brad331

Brad331 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, even with this behavior, the Stealth is still the fastest 13" ultrabook. As I mentioned in my video, the other ones have it even worse. But take the MateBook 13 for example. I don't have the 13 but I have the X Pro, and its power limit throttling is removable. MateBook 13 with removed power limits is going to be much faster than Stealth. I'd rather have my laptop run hotter and faster than cooler and slower. The Stealth is the fastest but it can be so much faster still! Its cooling system can literally accommodate a 8750H + MX150 or 8565U + GTX1050.

So I'm curious, would you rather have a cooler but slower laptop? I guess people may have different preferences.

6. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How does your power limit removed x Pro perform? Do you have any number like cinebench or 3Dmark to proof your statement, I’m curious about that since on 3Dmark physical score stealth 8565U surpass quad core 7700HQ with 45Watt tdp.
    Most poeple want cooler and faster laptops but that’s a Fantasy on thin light categories. If cooler and slower means longer lifespan than faster and hot one, I prefer then have slower one, i hate hot laptop, heat is biggest enemy especially on this category, having it running hot may invite tons issues. Idk the performance on video editing but even my dual core stealth to me it’s still fast enough running all my needs from work to gaming, I can even playing BFV, Vampyr in 4K with Core help and hitting playable 60fps. When this stealth 2016 is dead, I’ll probably get something like stealth 2019 cpu ultrabook.

7. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I can see what you're getting at. But, many people want something that is reasonably quiet and powerful. And while I agree high temps on a cpu wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would mean more wear and tear on the components. Plus I think the Macbook Pro 15 proves that just because it's running hot doesn't mean it's fully utilizing the max performance of the CPU.

Joikansai likes this.
  8. Arondel

Arondel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This right here perfectly illustrates the situation. Different people have different preferences.
    Now the question is not why it's done in one way or the other, since it's obvious there will always be unsatisfied customers, but instead why is the decision taken away from the users instead of providing it to them. We could easily have a "cool and slow" option (by default even, if it were to "protect the unknowingly masses from themselves") and a "hot and fast" alternative (for the knowledgeable people out there).

Brad331 likes this.
  9. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No, I think everyone doesn’t want their laptop dead right after warranty end:D
    So maybe Razer try to avoid that by this. Like nowaday Apple book that lock everything that made users hardly tweaks it, hardware and software wise and should waiting from their bios or firmware update for optimization.

Terreos likes this.
  10. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As much as I agree with you, I can understand why they don't give us a choice. The average customer is stupid. Plain and simple. So companies make their machine run the way they want that would appease the average customer.

We're a minority sadly. So we won't be to concerned about making us happy.

Joikansai likes this.