2019 Razer Blade 17

Discussion in 'Razer' started by rickybambi, Apr 22, 2019.

1. vegetaeater

vegetaeater Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wow, that balanced mode score is immense, considering it only hits 43-44 dB.

How is the wrist temp? Relatively cool?

2. slimjim8201

slimjim8201 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Those peaks don’t mean much. Need to look at averages to get a better feel. I think the temps look quite good TBH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    HWinfo isnt great for checking average temps. Check the curve in Afterburner or XTU. But still the peaks are higher than expected, also compared to the 15inch version.

Darkhan likes this.
  4. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The peak temperature may be vary, may be caused by bad thermal job, ambient temperature, how good laptop can intake air and outputting it etc.
    Last 2 scenes Firestrike are mainly cpu tests, combined one isn’t push gpu like on Graphics test, so maybe that’s why it pulled lower wattage on those scenes. Yes over 4Ghz @70 watt cpu tdp may spike the temperature a lot, that’s why I feel they should bringing back manual Fans control on that Synapse, auto maybe because synapse 3 is still beta it’ll buggy sometimes.

5. Evertbie

Evertbie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The wrist temp is still ok...the top portion does get hot though, I don’t have the meter to measure the actual temp.

The cpu 90c spikes is due to the sudden increase in power draw and I can hear the fans winding up more at that moment but too slow/late... I personally think thats just intel tdp nonsense of the chip needing much more power when loaded and boosting, 45 to 70watts is a sudden 55% increase in load, unless the fans are always at max there will be a delay in cooling and temp will spike.

I have not set my own cpu undevolt yet, lets see if can optimise...

The gpu lower power draw on performance mode could be due to the cpu drawing more power and total power limit cutting in..? I don’t know the gpu temps are good so it should be able to boost clock higher. I can run again in performance mode and set only gpu to high and see what’s the response.

I intend to run witcher 3 next and see what the cpu/gpu temps are.

6. Evertbie

Reputations:
    I keep the system in balanced mode during daily use including playing games since I prefer lower noise.

I have no regrets having bought this over the Alienware 51m, I am a stickler for design and case quality (IMO the razer edges out the 51m due to its full metal body) and its still perfectly portable with a nice big screen and (enough) storage option.

I can only recommend this system.

7. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was surprised to see they automatically OC the video card 100 core 400Mem. Install Afterburner and you will see that is default.

8. Evertbie

Reputations:
    I noticed that the memory is set higher in performance mode but not the boost clock.. ...need to spend more time but work is hectic right now. In general I am not sure if it makes a big difference due to the power limit for the max-q cards.

I am not sure what to use for the cpu undervolt, for my previous 15” with same cpu Razer already applied an undervolt of -100mv, I usually use XTU but wanna try throttlestop this time.

9. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    They did it already on 2018 Blade 15 by 100 core and 300 memory (gaming mode), but not on 15 rtx 2019. I think I saw also other manufacturer doing this, new acer Helios?
    This mode is the mode i want to avoid playing Ubisoft latest triple A titles on my Blade 15 1070mq for spiking cpu temperature to 90ish even with undervolting.

Darkhan likes this.
  10. vegetaeater

vegetaeater Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone who can post some 2060 / 2070 scores?

I swear, sometimes I think NBR is full of Saudi Arabian Princes.