2019 Razer Blade 17

Discussion in 'Razer' started by rickybambi, Apr 22, 2019.

1. slimjim8201

slimjim8201 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm not so sure a new cooling strategy will do it. I have LM on my RBP which has dramatically lowered CPU/GPU temps but the chassis still gets far too warm for the battery. The whole chassis is a huge heat sink and really heats up. Even at idle, the battery temp is far too high for longevity. It must be very challenging to thermally isolate the CPU/GPU cooling system from the surrounding aluminum body as there is so little space to work with.

2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Even though heat is not good for a battery. Swollen batteries are mostly caused by overcharging and or bad battery chemistry/design. I wouldnt attribute it directly to hear, Macbooks have a similar design but are in general fairly consistent regarding battery quality,

The Blade 15 isnt too bad regarding case temps, it is warmer than lets see the Triton 500 or AW M15 but similar to a Macbook. During idle the system is barely warm to to the touch. But the heatsink design of the RBP is quite unique and also reversed, which seems to make the contact area with the chassis larger.

3. darkloki

darkloki Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well from my experience* my blade 15 only seemed hot to me when I ran the Nvidia GPU, if I wasn't the running the GPU the system didn't seem all that hot. Granted this perspective is from a everyday usage type behavior not benchmarking behavior or even gaming or "Casual Gaming"

Like I'm only playing Heathstone these days, and it shocks me actually how hot my Blade 15 gets when I play a simple game like Hearthstone as compared to watching videos, surfing the web and doing emails.

4. slimjim8201

slimjim8201 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wishmaker, VonCrisp and Bahari93 like this.
  5. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  6. jetski423

jetski423 Newbie

Reputations:
    Pulled the trigger on the 2080 version, says it ships May 31 but hope it's sooner than that. Adding 32GB RAM and 1TB SSD once it arrives.

Wishmaker and bpterb like this.
  7. Wishmaker

Wishmaker BBQ Expert

Reputations:
    This thing is almost 3 kg ! a tad heavy :)

8. darkloki

darkloki Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Quite happy with the 15 inch so haven't pulled the trigger I suppose it's not really a laptop anymore once you go 17, if by chance I could keep PSU on my 15 inch laptop I would be more considerate towards the 17 I really don't want to go to a larger PSU even if it is slimmed down. The PSU is the same right between the old 17 PRO and this one?

9. vegetaeater

vegetaeater Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looking forward to more reviews on this thing. Availability still set as "Notify Me" on the Australian Razer store.

Honestly this would have 100% been my new machine if it had a G-sync option.

10. Dheorl

Dheorl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Same in the UK, despite Razer assuring me it would be available in May. As soon as I see some sort of confirmation regarding the colour quality of the screen it's in the running for my next machine.