2019 Razer Blade 17

Discussion in 'Razer' started by rickybambi, Apr 22, 2019.

1. jetski423

jetski423 Newbie

Reputations:
    Has Razer said when the new 17in will be available? I just heard a vague "sometime in May", but no indications of when exactly.

2. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My M17 has some macro functions so I'm gonna have to play with it and see how robust it is. I never bothered because my old experience with company software like this has been meh at best. PS yes the offset keyboard on this laptop does drive my OCD a little nuts. But it's hooked up to a keyboard and a ultrawide monitor so that helps.

You have no idea how much that makes me feel better that I'm not the only one. Sometimes I think I should just mount it to the wall and call it quits. With how good some monitors have gotten I can see myself still using this one for another 2-3 years. I have the x34 Predator. Awesome for gaming and productivity.

Linus did a video recently by using linux to use a virtual machine to run mac os. They did use a desktop so maybe it's not useable for a laptop. Though he does claim in the title to run MacOS on ANY PC. So might be worth a look.

You can pre order them on Newegg. They claim May 20th as the release date.

3. galaga13

galaga13 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Newegg shows IPS

4. knibbler

knibbler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If its not LG or Philips its not IPS. There's a difference. IPS-Level is TFT with different features added. Blacks look flatter. Whites arent as white etc.

The cooling on the 17 pro may actually give great performance for the 9750H. Those vents that open up near the screen are wicked. Rocking full 6 core speeds without high fan speeds and temps would be great!

Is it just me or does it look like the keyboard may be the exact same as the 15 model? Like the same exact one. The speaker grilles are wider..

5. HAMSTERS

HAMSTERS Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes, only LG panel is IPS. Other manufacture like AUO uses AHVA which is IPS level.

Thermal should be good. Keyboard is exact same as Blade 15.

6. slimjim8201

slimjim8201 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I like the two chassis fans and am very interesting in seeing someone open this thing up after embargo. In my RBP 1080, the main chassis components get absurdly hot due to heat soak from the unibody chassis. PCH, SSDs, battery...they all feel the heat from the CPU/GPU. I've always thought about cutting into the bottom panel with a dremel and then mounting a small external fan under my laptop stand. This would force air through from front to back. I'm guessing both of these new fans are just upstream of the dual SSDs and should work wonders in keeping the mid section cooler. Not much can be done to mitigate the heat conducting to the front through the unibody though. Overall, I'm anxious to see how this thing runs.

7. Richard Zheng

Richard Zheng Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I agree. Not many people know this, but CPUs and GPUs aren't the only things that get hot in a chassis. I make sure to mount small heatsinks onto SSDs as that ensures they stay really cool even during long transfers of huge amounts of data. The battery is especially sensitive, with many instances of blades bloating due to extreme heat applied to the battery

8. slimjim8201

slimjim8201 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I’ve had two batteries bloat on my RBP. now I just run without a battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Richard Zheng

Richard Zheng Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Damn, that is horrible on a premium workstation laptop. You think the next gen will avoid this issue?

10. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    A similar cooler design as the RB15 would be more than sufficient I think, The previous Blade pro just had a very ineffective and strange cooling design.

Vistar Shook likes this.