2019 Notebook 9 Lineup (regular/pro/pen)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by skygunnerblue, Jan 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. siki

siki Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I hibernate, rarely do I use sleep, but couple of times when I logged off in sleep mode, I noticed high battery drain in comparison to previous book 9s.
    Didn't notice any touchpad lag after sleep.
    Why is hibernate not an optimum solution?

2. skygunnerblue

skygunnerblue Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I also experienced higher-than-expected battery drain in Sleep mode - yet another reason I've stuck with Hibernate.

Generally, the benefit of Sleep is that the computer wakes faster from this state than it does from Hibernate.

Dannemand likes this.
  3. ouagadougou

ouagadougou Newbie

Reputations:
    Currently using the NP900X3E.... it's great.... but getting old.

Need a replacement to keep me just as happy for just as long.

XPS 13 9380 non-touch .... or .... Notebook 9 Pen 13/15" ??

Unfortunately I can't see the XPS where I live.... but I can see Samsung models. Main issue I see with the Pen is the screen glare. I technically don't need, or really want, a laptop with touch screen/pen.... but maybe the complete package is better and more fun. Thoughts?

4. skygunnerblue

Reputations:
    I actually had the same dilemma (I don't care about a touchscreen or pen) and the 9380 was in my top 3 contenders as well. The Notebook 9 Pen is super small and light with great build quality and a solid keyboard, so I still went for it. I will say if you are spoiled from the old Series 9 matte displays, you will notice a difference in glare, but I can't say that it's worse than most laptops in this category. For reasons I don't understand, very few manufacturers offer matte displays anymore.

Dannemand likes this.
  5. ouagadougou

ouagadougou Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks Sky. Although the Pen might be a great option, warranty issues might be a deciding factor. I spend most of my time living outside the US and believe the Pen might only be serviceable under warranty in the States. Is this correct? ... or is there an option for an international warranty?

Last question.... you had 3 contenders.... Pen, 9380, and ?

6. skygunnerblue

Reputations:
    I was looking at the ASUS S13, but I wasn't willing to wait for it to release.

7. skygunnerblue

Reputations:
  8. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just bought the Notebook 9 Pro 15" (256GB) NP940X5N-X01US directly from Samsung.com - it looks like it's the only Pro 15" they're currently selling. There's some nice discounts for it right now as part of their back to school sale - if you're interested, be sure to sign up for education discounts with a student/teacher email address too if you can. It comes with a quad core i7 8550U CPU, AMD Radeon 540 GPU, 16GB DDR4 RAM, and 256GB SSD.

I've been assessing my options for weeks, and nearly bought the new XPS 15, the cheapest i5 version with no dGPU. I'm glad I held out; the 9 Pro 15 looks like it offers more bang for even less money (especially with the discounts right now): double the RAM, an i7 instead of i5 CPU (though 8 gen instead of 9 gen), a dGPU, and it's a foldable 2-in-1 with a touch screen and a built-in stylus. The XPS 15 has a matte screen, but reviews of similar Notebook 9 Pro models say the 500-nit "outdoor mode" is more than enough to compensate for glare.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll be as good as I want it to be. Should be here next week; I'll post some more thoughts on it then.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Dannemand and skygunnerblue like this.
  9. go45cvi

go45cvi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Curious how your experience has gone. Considering picking up the same from BestBuy for $1050. My X3G's batter is dying :(

10. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Specs here: Notebook 9 Pro 15" (256GB) NP940X5N-X01US

I've been meaning to write a review. I can say my experience has been fantastic overall. The advantages are many:
    • It's professional looking and lightweight, so it easily can be brought into the office.
    • The screen is impressive, with beautiful colors. I especially like "outdoor mode," which makes the screen plenty bright (it still doesn't handle reflections as well as a matte screen obviously, but it's much brighter than most laptops I've come across, and the brightness helps quite a bit). The increased screen real estate compared to a 14" is definitely noticeable (it's also noticeably not a 15.6" laptop, but the 15.0" has been working well for me).
    • I love how it has two USB-A ports and a USB-C port--so many laptops are ditching USB-A these days. The keyboard is a bit mushier than ideal, but it's still a good typing experience. And personally, I love the fact it has dedicated home/page up/page down/end keys. The keyboard backlight is a plus too.
    • Its performance is plenty good enough for office work; it's snappy and can manage a lot at once without slowing down. I'm really appreciating the fact it has 16GB of RAM; I don't use it as a gaming machine, but I typically have enough browser tabs and MS Office windows open to eat through around 8GB of RAM.
    • The foldable display is a nice bonus; I've used it a few times on its side to read a PDF vertically (which I've found makes PDF reading easier), and I've folded the keyboard all the way back to free up table space while watching a video. I mostly still use it in its regular orientation, but I appreciate the flexibility.
    • The S-Pen is another nice bonus. It's not as good as an Apple Pencil, but it's a more-than-adequate stylus, and I love that it doesn't have to be charged and that it fits inside a compartment within the laptop itself. (Though you have to be careful with this--a couple times I put it in the compartment the wrong way and then had to use pliers to yank it back out.)
    • Battery life is great for my purposes (probably 6-7 hours with the screen brightness turned up relatively high, more with it dimmer).

The main drawbacks are two--the placement of the power button and the speakers:
    • The power button juts out from the left-side next to the full HDMI port, which makes it too easy to accidentally hit while moving the laptop around in your hands. This hasn't been a big issue, but I have hit it a few times without meaning to.
    • The speakers aren't the best and are placed on the laptop's underbelly, firing downward. The laptop gets louder and clearer if it's elevated. This personally hasn't been a huge issue for me, because as subpar as the speakers are, they're still a step up from my MSI GS43VR's awful speakers--and I'll often use my external speakers at home or headphones anyway.
    • One other, smaller quibble: the power cord connector is quite thin, and I worry it might not be sturdy enough to withstand much damage, but I've had no problems so far.
    All in all, I really like this machine and I'm glad I got it. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a professional-looking office machine that's lightweight and has a great screen, and especially for people looking for a good 2-in-1 or a light gaming device. I honestly didn't buy it for either of those functions, but it's great to have them. This device offers so much of the functionality of something like a Surface device at a fraction of the cost. I hope it continues to work well for a long time to come!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    JRE84, go45cvi and Dannemand like this.